SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Outboard Cools normally only when in Neutral

748 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  marinesail 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 Honda 5 HP, 4 Stroke long shaft. The cooling action is normal only while the outboard is in NEUTRAL, BUT when I put the engine in gear (either forward or reverse) the cooling water flow would be greatly reduced to a "SPITTING"! This is my second engine and I'm having trouble getting on the water where I need to be. Does anyone have any ideas on why this outboard cooling water will not flow normally while under load? Thank you very much.

#3 ·
Probable cause:
The elasticity of the rubber vanes of the impeller has decreased (the vanes have taken a 'set' into a deformed position), so that at the higher rpm the vanes are no longer in close contact with the impeller body and are 'floating' away from the impeller body surface due to hydrodynamic lifting of the vanes.
Rx: replace the impeller as a first attempt of correction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.