SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Climb the mast without halyard

7K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  VallelyJ 
#1 ·
Someone during the course of winter untied our halyard which we used to climb up (it slipped all the way up and the end of it is currently stuck all the way up), so now I need to go up somehow - how can I do that?

There might be a crane that we can climb on eventually, but I was thinking there might be some other way (what do you do if this happens while you are sailing, let's say your halyard broke).

#6 · (Edited)
This could work, just be sure to wear a life jacket, and more importantly video it and post! :laugh:laugh:laugh

Don't you have other halyards, how tall is your mast? Worst case you could have the mast pulled, could cost as little as a hundred, or even free if you have a self service club near you (that you are a member of, or have a friend who is).

#7 ·
Questions:

-What kind of boat do you have, how tall is the mast? If the mast is not that tall or the boat not that big them some jury rig of poles might reach the top.
-Are there any other halyards or lines that run up to the top of the mast? These might include a jib halyard or a topping lift. Such lines could be used to bring up a bosun chair, or as part of a "fishing" method like I used and posted about below:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/248689-halyard-fishing-one-main-halyard-retrieval-method-worked.html

#8 ·
What sort of boat are you sailing?
We have a main sail halyard, a jib halyard and two spinnaker halyards on our main mast, a mizzen sail halyard and a mizzen staysail halyard on our mizzen.
Were any to break we could get aloft on any one and effect repairs, if one of the others won't do the job temporarily. We carry plenty of spare wire and line and a hand held hydraulic crimper aboard. In the past I always carried a 5 part purchase block and tackle that went aloft on a halyard, so I could get myself aloft, even at sea, if I was alone (certainly something one shouldn't try with an ascender set up, IMO). Not much fun at sea, but I've never been handicapped for very long because of a problem aloft.

#9 ·
Climbing anything is dependent upon your size, physical condition, and motivation. Maybe there is a teenager around that would be happy to take on the challenge of climbing a slender pole to thread a rope through a pulley, ask around. When I was in my teens I climbed several flag poles to replace the ropes just for the fun and challenge of it. I could probably still do it today if the mast was stout enough, although I am sure it would not be nearly as fast of a trip.

#10 ·
I used an extension ladder to get me up to the spreaders to install a radar. Had to tie it off. Read an article on retrieving hallyards by using another hallyard to which a device is attached: fish hooks, a noose made stiff with hairspray, a large closepin device held open with a u shaped clip that cam be pulled out with a light line, a bigger hook made from a coat hanger. .

#11 ·
I usually just climb the mast when that happens. one leg on either side, you use your weight as a ratchet on your feet... bingo bango. then slide down like a firepole on the way back,just watch out for anything sharp...

#12 ·
we once had a really good guy in Charleston SC climb ours without the halyard -- it was a deal - some idiot ran out from under cover in a thunderstorm and got hit by lightening and we - undercover - got a surge or what ever from him and took out our windthingy at the top of the mast -
The Charleston guy only had one for a new boat he was prepping but sold it to me as he could get another quickly if he were to install it -- ie dollars - and I did not mind as I hate going up any way --
he put on soft rubbery shoes and used the topping lift as a safety and went up the shrouds - but he was really knowledable and knew what he was doing - as an exclimber I knew he was using 3 points of pressure at all times - once at the top he tied himself to the mast with webbing he took up and did the work

#16 ·
Really? This is tiny mast. Just climb up there and get it. Sometimes a furled headsail is easier as there is better grip and not so much junk to climb over. Big loops of rope can be tied as prusik or icicle hitch for safety to a harness if you like. 5 minute job, tops. Helps to be young like me: 62.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.