SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Garmin radar zone alrm dynamic zone alarm!

736 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Hi,

No dynamic zone alarm! Am I wrong or is this a major flaw with the Garmin HD 18 radar? OK there is a zone alarm of sorts. If you tag an object and it comes into your zone then the alarm will sound. Not much good to us.

For instance we are standing watch on an overnight passage and want an alarm if an object enters the zone on the radar. There is an island\rock off the shore about 6 miles out coming from Chacala to Mazatlan which of course has no AIS and was I believe not on the Garmin Pacific Mexico chart. Any way if at night we wanted an alarm to sound if this were to enter our radar zone we are out of luck with the Garmin HD 18 radar. Not so with a Raymarine radar so I hear.

We have called Garmin about this and they do think it is an issue.

Are we alone in thinking that this a big flaw in the Garmin radar?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.