SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

75 foot shore power cord ??

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  wrwakefield 
#1 ·
So, my slip frustrates me to no end, I have requested a move to a different slip several times with no luck and my wife loves this marina and doesn't want to go elsewhere. Coming in stern to, is a royal pain in the a@$ , but provides easy access to the shore power. Coming in bow to is much easier and less stressful, but forces me to run the power cords to almost their maximum with no more than two ft. of slack, and very taught bow lines to a fixed dock with a 4 ft. tidal range.

I looked and googled around and I can find 30Amp shore power, 10Ga, in a 75 ft length, special order from Marinco. I don't know the price yet, but I'm guessing over $200 , and I need two of them.

What are your thoughts...take the financial hit and a slight drop in voltage at the boat or go back to high stress and close connections?
Anyone know of a place that will customize a shore power cord? I only need 55-60ft to be more comfortable.

#2 ·
How about installing a secondary 120v AC connection somewhere near your bow and properly hard-wire the AC back to the present AC panel/switch connection?

Otherwise, Why go to the expense of a custom made cord? Buy an additional power cord and series connect it to your present cord ... most have auxiliary/optional threaded connectors to hold them fast and secure when series-connecting to 'other' power cords --- just extend the cord you already have and wrap the 'excess' around piling.

#4 ·
Simple solution....buy another one and connect them. Many times when we have traveled we have had use two cords plugged into each otheras not all pedestals can be reached by one. We coil the shorter cord and kept it neat with two of these $2 do dads .

WEST MARINE ShorePower? Cord Wraps | West Marine

#5 ·
Purchase the appropriate gauge cord sans ends and order an "Smart Plug" retro-fit kit for the two ends. The "Smart Plug" is a better(with more surface connectivity), safer(because of the increased connectivity and positive locking) connection of the two moveable mating surfaces involved in these type of heavy duty construction/marine electrical plugs.

#9 ·
The problem is, the Marinco plugs are a lousy design. I just had one short out a couple of weeks back. Seems to happen every 5 or 6 years. I keep a replacement spare aboard, which says a lot.

If I was going to add a length, I would want each half of the connection to have the water resistant locking collar. Most cables seem to have it removed.

Best move is to just get the right cable. A few more feet isn't going to ruin your power system.

If you really want to spend your retirement, install a Glendinning Cablemaster system, so that you can have exactly the length of cord you need for any slip you occupy. We have two 30 amp cords on cable masters (came with the boat) :)

#11 ·
The problem is, the Marinco plugs are a lousy design. I just had one short out a couple of weeks back. Seems to happen every 5 or 6 years. I keep a replacement spare aboard, which says a lot.

If I was going to add a length, I would want each half of the connection to have the water resistant locking collar. Most cables seem to have it removed.

Best move is to just get the right cable. A few more feet isn't going to ruin your power system.

If you really want to spend your retirement, install a Glendinning Cablemaster system, so that you can have exactly the length of cord you need for any slip you occupy. We have two 30 amp cords on cable masters (came with the boat) :)
In most cases if you assay your maximum amperage demand, you'll probably find the need to up-size from 30 amp service to 50 amp service; then the connectors won't be so 'hot'. Few marinas in the Mid-Atlantic on south will install 30 amp service for 'new' or 'replacement'; only 50 amp and above.

#13 ·
Bill

I don't honestly know if I have slip rings or not. I would check if I knew what to look for. One of the nicest features of the cable master is that the boat connection is permanent, so no need for a smart plug or much chance of a short on the boat. My plug shorted on the dock.

#16 ·
Thanks, Minnewaska.

When I had to replace the one [of two...] external plug on my boat I had considered hard wiring the cord. But since I have two inlets on opposite sides of the boat [for convenience only...] I decided to go with two new Smart Plugs instead of duplicating the cords and the required storage. [3- 50ft cords; 2- 30A (10AWG) and 1- 50A (6AWG)]

Like my camper, I would prefer to have the shore power cord hard wired and just pull out what you need...

You have an ideal set-up in my mind.

Cheers!

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.