SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Freedom 21 tabernacle mast hinge retrofit

9K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Glory daze 
#1 ·
Please delete this post if it violates the rules. I am looking for someone, anyone who has first hand knowledge of installing the Freedom retrofit that hinges the Freedom 21 sailboat carbon fiber mast to facilitate one-person stepping of the mast. Any info directly related to this process would be appreciated. Yes I have searched the net. Yes I have downloaded the simplified installation instructions and component drawings, but I would like to talk to someone who has the parts, knows a source of the parts, or has completed the modifications.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Freedom made a retrofit, or at least designed it. A simplified explanation is the mast is cut into two parts. The retrofit involves two aluminum tubes, one epoxied into the lower half., the other tube epoxied into the upper part of the mast. When stepping the mast, the upper tube telescopes into the lower section and is still un-stayed.

#4 ·
I have that document. It is helpful but it raises questions. First, I would like to find the actual parts from Freedom, if they were made. The draws would allow the parts to be made but before I would cut the mast I would like to know if it is tapered inside.

#8 ·
Hi, I sort of stumbled upon this thread by mistake, but just an fyi - I acquired a freedom 21 with a tabernacle mast this past summer (2016) and we had to basically rebuild the tabernacle so I have a lot of info, photos, and experience about how it all works, what can go wrong, and how to fix. Note, much of the machine work was beyond me (plus did not have the tools or work space), so we hired someone do to it, but I still know what was done and why. So if you are still interested in the hing retrofit and want info, let me know.

Cheers
Jesse

#26 ·
Hi, I sort of stumbled upon this thread by mistake, but just an fyi - I acquired a freedom 21 with a tabernacle mast this past summer (2016) and we had to basically rebuild the tabernacle so I have a lot of info, photos, and experience about how it all works, what can go wrong, and how to fix. Note, much of the machine work was beyond me (plus did not have the tools or work space), so we hired someone do to it, but I still know what was done and why. So if you are still interested in the hing retrofit and want info, let me know.

Cheers
Jesse
Jesse
i have a 21 and. very interested in the mast retrofit.

#11 ·
Old threads never die... just joined the site and saw this thread - really late to the party. If you still want info, I have it. I have the original blueprints from Freedom for the retrofit and had a local shop fabricate it for me from the blueprints. I installed it myself on my F21. Yes, there was some sweat while I was cutting the mast but it all worked out perfectly. Best upgrade I ever did to the boat (I've owned it for about 20 yrs). Got tired of my neighbors avoiding me every spring because they were worried I would ask for help raising the mast. Robb

#13 ·
Hi Chad; they're actual blue prints approximately the size of a large poster. There are 3 separate sheets. I called up Freedom back in the day and they sent them to me. Drawings are dated 1989 and I had it fabricated in 2003. All of the specs are on the blue prints so the fabrication shop I used was able to get the right materials. The Aluminum specked was 6061-T6. I took pictures of the blueprints but have to figure out how to post them. (may not be able to yet because I'm a junior member).

Regards, Robb

#15 ·
Having owned a 21 in the past was always perplexed as to why Freedom did not make it that way to begin with - in its current configuration - you have a 21 foot boat that has to be kept in a slip - the fin keel makes it tough enough to trailer it - throw in the mast issue and its no more trailerable than a 30 foot boat - its a fun daysailor - but having limited ability to trailer it - it just seems like a bad design for its size.

#16 ·
I know! I love mine and in Narragansett Bay (where it was born) drawing almost 4 feet is not much of a problem as long as empty coves and upriver marinas are not where you hang out. So, that might explain some of the design criteria. For its time it was not speedy, only somewhat sporty. However, give it another foot of draft with the same ballast, some more sail area and now one has a speedy and easy boat! 5 feet would not have been really much more difficult than 4.

I had a nice trailer-sailer before and it was just on the bay as long as one was prepared to reef. It drew 18" and was great fun in coves and rivers. But, it did not relish 20kts from the SSW.

BTW. A Freedom 21 in a slip is pretty annoying. Mine is at a slip right now as I wait for my mooring pennant to be put on. It bounces around, needs to be festooned with fenders, and requires motoring to get in and out. I much prefer my mooring. Catch the launch, ditch the sailcover, raise the main, and toss the pennant. To come in, exactly the reverse. Much better for a quick sail in the afternoon.

#17 ·
I've got the shoal keel version of the boat so trailering hasn't been a big deal - especially with the tabernacle mast conversion. (Debatable whether the shoal is the best option overall as the boat doesn't point as well as the keel version). That said, I've been getting lazy my old age and shelled out $ for a slip last summer and will again this summer - at least until I sell her.

Regards, Robb

#19 ·
Hi Chad; I'll be able to get it to you tomorrow. I decided that the pics I took wouldn't do the job for you so I took the original blueprints in to be scanned. When I get the scan I'll email it over to you and once you have it you can take it to your local reprographics shop so they can print off the blueprints. Once you have the blueprints, you can take them to a fabrication shop as all the specs are on the blueprints.

Regards, Robb

#20 ·
So I got the blueprints scanned and saved in two formats (Jpeg and PDF) Although the PDFs are crisper, I cant post them here so I've attached the Jpegs. These are reduced down because the original scans (which I also have) are 63 megs each times 3 so way too big to send. I can send PDF files via email to anyone who wants them. Chad I'll send the PDF files to you right away. if anyone has questions about the retrofit feel free to ask.

Regards, Robb

Attachments

#22 ·
Hi David; yes, I posted them on the previous page of this post but I could send them directly to you in electronic form if you provide an email. I performed the mast conversion myself so if you have any questions I'm happy to provide. I sold my F21 this past summer and bought a Catalina 250 wing keel - may have been a big mistake. The F21 was my first keelboat and I assumed all boats sailed as well as her - apparently not. I'm going to build a bigger rudder for the C250 this winter. If that doesn't work I may be in the market for another Freedom.

Regards, Robb

#23 ·
Hi David; yes, I posted them on the previous page of this post but I could send them directly to you in electronic form if you provide an email. I performed the mast conversion myself so if you have any questions I'm happy to provide. I sold my F21 this past summer and bought a Catalina 250 wing keel - may have been a big mistake. The F21 was my first keelboat and I assumed all boats sailed as well as her - apparently not. I'm going to build a bigger rudder for the C250 this winter. If that doesn't work I may be in the market for another Freedom. Regards, Robb
Hello Robb, My name is Dave and if you see this (from an old thread) I would love an email with electronic form of the F21 mast conversion docs from Freedom Yachts. I am hoping to do the same with my mast. It would sure be more convenient and economical. Just curious, still with the Catalina 250? Thanks, Dave dave@minotsystems.com

#24 ·
Hi robb01, these drawings are great. I have an f21 in Montreal and interested in having this tabernacle built. Any chance you can share info on the shop you used? Any idea about the cost would be great too. I don't think I can have it made locally and would be interested in having the same shop make another one.