Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-22-2006

Edo Kazumichi is on a distinguished road
Listing to starboard

My Ericson 32 lists ever so slightly to starboard. Not enough to move the bubble completely out of the hash marks on my level but enough to put it just right up against one of them.

Any idea why? I don't THINK I've got more weight on that side.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2006

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
It's got to be one of two things, either the meter was not properly installed or there is more weight on the starboard side. Do you have water tanks on both sides, if so is the port one less full than the starboard one? Is your holding tank on the starboard side?
Old 11-22-2006

psnider is on a distinguished road
Edo,

I bet if you did a simple inventory of the major items on each side of the boat you'd be surprised at the results.

My Tartan 28 lists slightly to port. Port side starting in the stern has an anchor and 3 batteries in the cockpit locker. Galley has a 3 burner alcohol stove and oven, and ice box with pop and water in it(sometimes beer ). Under the port settee is the 16 gallon fuel tank. Under the starboard quarterberth is misc supplies and spare parts. Under the starboard settee is a 30 gallon water tank(usually empty). And just forward of that is the head. With water in the tank she doesn't list as much, it is clear that most of the heavy stuff is on the port side.

Someday maybe I'll redistribute some of the items that can be moved...not a priority.
Old 11-22-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If weight is distributed evenly, then perhaps your rig is not balanced correctly - check your stays to determine if the mast is plumb to your keel.
Old 11-22-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Not uncommon at all for boats to have an inherent list for a variety of reasons. Redistribute what you can and see if that helps. Small differences won't affect sailing performance anyway.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 11-22-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We have a slight list to port and it drives me crazy. Like stated above, everything on our boat is on the port side.
Galley stove w/oven, refridge, & microwave. Than I went and added two additional house batteries. The most convenient spot was in the lazzeret, which of course is on the port side.

I buy a bunch of cases of soda and water and place them on the starboard side (you can substitute beer of course). We drink them as needed and replace when needed, by the time the season ends we are usually back to our original slight list to port.

This helps, but of course it also adds more weight and drag to the boat.
Old 11-22-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Plumbing, rig, batteries, tankage, the head itself, tool stowage, anchor in well off center, mast not vertical, keel not perfectly plumb and level--or even lopsided after fairing. Could be any of those things and even the hull layup may not have been perfectly symmetrical, boats have been known to carry trim ballast to correct these problems.

I'd agree with the others, check everything from stem to stern to look for things you can shift to trim the boat, and double-check the level itself. From a dingy (so your weight isn't a factor) or the dock, measure from the deck to the waterline and see if the boat is really heeled by that measure. And you can check for a plumb mast by taking a halyard straight down to the deck at the rail/chainplate, and measuring to see if the length is the same to both sides. Or, measure with that same halyard to the water.

No big deal if you have to add trim ballast, but if you don't need it...lighter is faster.
Old 11-22-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I was on a ship once that always ran with about a degree and a half port list. Seems the old man's shower wouldn't drain for beans unless she carried a slight port list. No big deal-when you're doing 25-30 degree rolls in the N. Atlantic the exact location of even keel is a moot point. Funny thing, her five sister ships didn't have the problem.
Old 11-22-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Think of it as a plus, when the destination is to windward, time lunch for a starboard tack and be just a tiny bit less heeled while you eat! (I have a port list and can detect a slight difference when sailing)
Old 11-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, if your water, fuel and holding tanks are along the centerline, the boat's balance will shift as water, fuel and sewage are added or removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.