Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-22-2006

Hargadoo is on a distinguished road
Bilge mold and where do I get that black sealing stuff...

Whats the best way of removing mold? My bilge is black with it. I tossed in methyl hydrate to stop the smell but now I got a volatile liquid in my bilge.
Also, my forehatch leaks a little. I've been trying to find where I can get a black goop that will harden to rubber but don't know where to find it. I tried canadian tire and the local marine store, but canuck tire only has the black silocon goop used to seal gaskets (is that ok to use? I tried it but it just keeps peeling off). The marine store keeps pushing their excess "Boat Life" on me but I don't wanna commit to a big tube of "boat life" that I have to use ALL when opened -- such a waste.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mold can be fixed by using bleach...but bleach is very corrosive and will need to be rinsed out very thoroughly... it also attacks a lot of different materials, so should be used as little as possible. However, if you don't stop whatever is causing your bilge to fill with water....the mold will generally just come back. Any place that is not well-ventilated and damp is a prime growing medium for mold.

As for the forehatch, it may make more sense to replace the gasket/seal completely. Are you sure it is the gasket that is leaking??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-22-2006

KenD is on a distinguished road
You can find hatch gasket material at (new found metals.com)Good luck.
Old 11-24-2006

Hargadoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Mold can be fixed by using bleach...but bleach is very corrosive and will need to be rinsed out very thoroughly... it also attacks a lot of different materials, so should be used as little as possible. However, if you don't stop whatever is causing your bilge to fill with water....the mold will generally just come back. Any place that is not well-ventilated and damp is a prime growing medium for mold.

As for the forehatch, it may make more sense to replace the gasket/seal completely. Are you sure it is the gasket that is leaking??

The forehatch is leaking at the contact point where upper lid and lower lid meet. The gasket is good, when I sluice the decks there are no leaks. BUT when it rains for 5 days straight will cause a capillary action and there'd be about 1 drip / 10 mins. Not enough to replace the entire gasket, but just enough to drive me crazy.

The bilge is very dry during summer. However, in winter when there would be some moisture collecting on the walls, eventually some of that does make its way to the bilge -- hence the mold. If left for 5 months in winter, while still in the water the boat would have half-a-centimetre of water in the bilge. Hence my mold problem.

I've tossed in the bleach as you recommended. Sure enough, it made the mold white. It doesn't smell anymore after the bleach. The methyl hydrate, although it dried out the bilge, spread the smell all over the boat more.
Old 11-24-2006

jones2r is on a distinguished road
There is a product, M-1 Sure-Kote, that is sprayed, wiped, or brushed on. It is available from Home Depots (I've been told) in coastal areas. It will kill mold and prevents its formation. I got mine from someone who works with houses.
Old 11-24-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem for short time, fixed all my leaks I think. Seems to that you have too much moisture in the air (simple terms) have you try a dehumidifier?