SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

"wetted surface blisters"

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  dailymirror 
#1 ·
I have come across a 1981 CS33, which I'm interested in. I have had a look at an old survey (2011) which notes numerous blisters of 5 to 25 centimeters over the entire wetted surface. The surveyor recommended sandblasting, fairing and repainting the bottom. He also remarked on a line of blisters on along the edge of the keel stub.

The boat was originally a freshwater boat, but has cruised in the carribean at least once for before returning to fresh water.

The latest pictures provided by the broker show the bottom the be clean, with no evident issues. naturally.

Id welcome some thoughts from some objective folks in the sailing community; worth a 3 hour drive for closer look or turn the page?

#2 ·
I wouldn't eliminate the boat because of it. If you proceed to a haul and survey based on all other things about the boat then your own surveyor, and perhaps the yard, can comment of the issue. Ignore the broker pictures...it may not even be the same boat...heh...I'm not fond of brokers except that they have the marina gate key.

I've had hundreds of small shallow blisters at haul out. Hot tropical salt water. Purely cosmetic. Due to some defect in an earlier fairing we suspect. They do not get into the laminate in any serious way. They do not return where properly repaired. Did not do the entire hull because they are quite localized on the keel.

If the seller did not bother to fix the blisters on each haulout I would have suspicions about other maintenance issues. Use all of them to knock the price down.

#5 ·
"Blisters" can be a heartbreak, especially if you DIY and dump $$$hundreds+ into the remediation, especially if you will intend to possibly re-sell the boat in a short to moderate future time frame.
That the present boat you're looking at apparently has lots of surface blisters is actually a good thing, as possibly no-one has already done a poor/sloppy DIY job that only makes such a typical DIY blister remediation of a hull much much less valuable, or possibly already 'ruined' the hull.

Suggest you go here and read all you can about hull 'blisters' (including buying a boat that has 'blisters') before you make your final decision: Hull Blisters on Boats and Yachts - by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor AND Buying a Boat or Yacht : Buying a Blister Boat

Sure, one can successfully DIY remediate a hull that has 'blisters' ... the question you have to ask yourself is: whether the time and money spent is well worth it.

#8 ·
Hi Denise, I'm so sorry you didn't get my thanks; I'm sure I sent a one. Although, to be honest I was "multi tasking" on my coffee break at work. Which really means I was messing up three things at once instead of doing one thing at a time well. I am sorry.

After that - for what its worth - I do appreciate the time you took to comment on my concerns. It helps! I note in the commentary on this boat that it was "coated" with Interprotect in 2012. I don't know how often that has to be repeated yet - but it seems a step in the right direction.

Again - thanks for your feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.