SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

AD Evaporator - VD-151 - Vertical???

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  deniseO30 
#1 ·
Checking to see if anyone has mounted an Adler Barbour VD-151 Evaporator Vertically.
It is advertised as a Horizontal unit vs it's sister unit VD-150 which the brochure says it can be mounted either way.

Brochure:
http://southerncalmarine.com/produc...r-evaporators/2693_ab_coldmachine_spec_sh.pdf

Just wondering (never done it before) if there some reason other than the door /ice trays will function slightly differently, WHY it cannot be mounted Vertically.
Considering the change on a Catalina 350.

BTW if anyone has the VD-150.......do you know if the "built in" metal "ice trays" can be removed?

Thanks in advance

#2 · (Edited)
Mine is vertical. Like a bucket...open at the top. Much better on a boat that heels. Stuff at the bottom freezes. Beers at the top are super frosty. I can't imagine that it makes any technical refrigeration difference....right DeniseO30? Leave a half inch gap or more between the sides and the box wall whatever position you choose.

I see the VD-151 has a door. That might be useless if mounted vertical. Cold air, and beers, very much stay inside without a door at the top.

#3 ·
The refrigerant does not depend on gravity. the only evaps that need mounting or air flow consideration are ducted or fan coil types that also have drain for defrost if required.

That the only reason you joined? We do have a intro section :)

#4 ·
I just installed a new closed "box" style evaporator in our ice box so that we can have a few steaks frozen for bbq after a couple of weeks of cruising.
Different brand. The vendor told me I could orient it either way.

Loren

Reactions: deniseO30
#5 ·
Those ice trays are aluminum, and are free standing. The plastic inserts just make the "cubes", mine have all broken so just have a block of ice to deal with. The aluminum trays will eventually split as well. I'd upgrade and get the unit with the Adler Barber BD-50 compressor, a bit more grunt, for your cold beer. The door thingy is cheesy and worthless, especially if your mounting it vertical.

#9 · (Edited)
Grunt, no, larger displacement yes (capacity) but, at a higher equipment cost, just to satisfy the old idea that bigger is better? In refrigeration, not really true or necessary. BECAUSE, short cycling, (from Oversizing) start amperage draw is detrimental to the energy consumption of a unit sized for the box.

Bulldozers grunt,. refrigeration compressors are most efficient when running longer with a stabilized load, not on an off action. On little units like these the system needs to run 15-30 mins to have a stabilized load,
Personally I doncare for danfoss because of the high cost of the module needed to run them. I like the swing compressors used by Engle and norcold
http://www.sawafuji.co.jp/english/tech/shindou.html

#10 ·
Personally I doncare for danfoss because of the high cost of the module needed to run them.[/URL]
Is the electronics module for the swing compressor known to live longer than the Danfoss unit? I get about two years from the Danfoss electronics module. The compressor itself, the steel part, seems to last forever.

I suppose Danfoss laughs all the way to the bank on revenue from their crummy electronics.

#11 ·
Au contraire mon frere... I've used both with the same evaporator. Found the BD 50 to use less power. This is field use, not book data. Initial power consumption more, but faster pull down times. Especially on a hot box, with a hundred or more beers to cool down, and an empty evaporator box, full of fresh unfrozen food. Later, better on/off duty cycles when all is cold. Helps to install a variable resistor so you can crank up the compressor speeds to 3000 rpms, adjust down when box is cool and night time use, crank it back up when full solar power in the day time. YMMV...lots of extra insulation helps too. My Sigha very cold tonight, think I'll have another, or wait, ice cubes for my G & T....

#12 ·
Not here to argue, but most people DIY and are not likely to use different coil and condenser combinations. Which is even more common in air conditioning equipment. I will always say, ANY 12/24 volt system for boats is nothing short of amazing regardless of what mfg made it. It's always good to have a well insulated box and air tight lid or door. and match the equipment to the box size if possible. But again.. the box size and unit capacity is a big variable.

Reactions: aeventyr60
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.