Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-28-2006

kevplank is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of considerations to the equation. If space allows I would recommend eight 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries to run at nearly hull speed for two or more hours. Wind and sea conditions play a big part as well as the cleanness of the hull bottom. In most cases, under calm seas and light breezes the boats in question could be run at 3-4 knots for two hours with only 4 group 31 batteries. (group 31's are usually the largest deep cycle batteries you can get at the local megamart).
I would also like to add that one point overlooked in the difference between Diesel and battery power. When your batteries go "dead". Set the hook. Shut the motor off for about an hour and turn in back on again. The meter will show some remaining charge and you can actually run it again for quite some time.
Now try this ... when your diesel runs out of fuel. Shut it off for an hour (or a day) and try starting it back up again. hmmmm
Or try to make your own diesel from the wind or the sun.
I know that electric power is not the answer for every boater, but until you've been on one, there is just no way to explain it. The quiet motive power that we get under sail, starts right from the dock.

Kevin Plank
RE-E-POWER.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
That's the main issue

"Wind and sea conditions play a big part as well as the cleanness of the hull bottom."

Kevin: Your quote matches what I experienced..............once the wind & sea picked up, the electric motor (not yours) could not punch thru or keep the boat moving at any reasonable speed.
I think the electric motor would be perfect for smaller lakes, bays (even SF Bay - where we sail 90+% of the time) and ICW but coastal & ocean cruising where the engine is needed (especially in bigger winds, swells & waves) for "heavy" lifting, it does not not sound like advancements have matched diesels yet.
Old 12-28-2006

If I may ask what type of system you've experienced? Our system is more than powerful enough to punch a 30 footer through anything that a 20-30 hp diesel inboard will do. Power isn't the issue with the E-POD. The big issues are still energy storage. One of the biggest hopefuls on the horizon is the Firefly battery
http://www.fireflyenergy.com/main/in...d=25&Itemid=93
They are working on an AFFORDABLE battery that operates with carbon fiber foam instead of lead. It will have 3-4 times the capacity of lead acid.
Our motors were designed from the beginning to perform in a marine environment, and to have enough performance to keep up with the ICE's. We'll be taking a trip across Lake Michigan this summer with a 43' Columbia. Displacement is 22,000 lbs. We plan to go from Saint Joseph, MI to Chicago on battery power alone (55 miles). Then sail back to charge the batteries and return to the harbor. We are planning to take a couple of magazine writers with us to do articles on the adventure. We're actually hoping for some serious wind and wave action.

Kevin P
RE-E-POWER.com
Old 12-28-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Kevin, I mean it as a compliment when I say it looks like you've upscaled reliable electric trolling motors to sailboat sizing. I mean, they work and work well!

I'm just curious how well they are protected from the salt water surrounding them. On most sailboats, we've got a shaft log that at least drips a little most of the time, and seawater incursion is expected. How do you keep the seawater *out* of your pods, and how well are the internals designed to cope with being flooded?

Could you comment on that side of things?
Old 12-28-2006
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
Kevin,you said you were going to take out some magazine writers soon. Can we look forward to a write up in "Good Old Boat"?You might also consider inviting someone from "Latitude 38" as I think your product is going to become "tres chic" here on SFbay

Last edited by sharkbait; 12-28-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2006

Sure thing. It's a very good and understandable question. I can't reveal too much right now simply because of prying eyes from competitors. I know they could just buy a motor and take it apart, but at least they have to buy a motor!
Our system employs (very expensive) stainless steel sealed bearings on the inside of the motor. Beyond that, I will tell you that the man we hired (also very expensive) was a Naval Arch that has been building submarines in the private sector for almost 40 years. Needless to say, he knows what he's doing. The motors are basically designed to be in the water for more than 5 years without any trouble. The prop shaft is made to be just like the shaft that comes out of your boat on a traditional inboard. This is a nice feature if you should ever have a damaged prop and need to put a standard prop on the unit to get by for a time. It is also nice because you can put a standard shaft zinc on it between the motor and the prop. On top of all of that, the 2500 and 3000 come with a tube that goes to the bottom of the motor so that water can be detected and also removed if it is necessary. We have also allowed for an inspection hole (additional option) that we can run a bore scope into to inspect the internal components of the motor. This option also increases the warranty from 2 years to 4 years. Sorry for getting so wordy.

Kevin Plank
RE-E-POWER.com
Old 12-28-2006

Actually I'm open to having just about any publication that wants to go. Not sure they will all be on the same boat at the same time, (we don't want them fighting), but we will be putting out an invitation to most of the more popular and local pubs. Plans so far are for DIY, Good Old Boat, Latts and Atts, Northern Breezes, and a variety of others. Hopefully we can gain some ground in the educational curve.

Thanks
Kevin P
RE-E-POWER.com
Old 12-28-2006

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Genset too?

Kevin, thanks for participating in the forum.

From the numbers given above, that would be a range of 6 to 8 miles with 4 group 31 batteries, or (assuming a linear slope) 16 miles off 8 large batteries. I would want two banks completely isolated with one in reserve.

I use my diesel mostly for getting in and out of dockage, but I also do use it to hold head up into the sea during a storm or when traversing an inlet pass and ICW. The above calculations seem to indicate that the electric system would suffice except for:
- Holding up for an extending period of time in heavy sea.
- Extended "need to get there" type cruising with no wind.
- Long trips on the ICW.

So, I'm now thinking that a diesel genset might be a needed addition, thus going true diesel-electric. The genset could use the old engine intake thru-hole and old exhaust.

Kevin, do you have any customers that use / plan to use the above configuration to extend the running time?
Old 12-28-2006

Yes, you're on the right track, and yes, there are quite a number of folks planning to run a genset for the reasons you stated.
Ample power on the west coast has a great genset that can handle 100 amps at 48 volts and another one that will put out 200 amps at 48 volts. The other option would be to use an AC generator to power a 48 volt charger. You could for long periods with either of those options very sufficiently under most circumstances.
Using the existing fittings and space for a "gotta have it" power supply, as well as having the gen available to run other house needs such as refrigeration and even an electric stove. Propane can be more of a hazard than diesel fuel.

Kevin P
RE-E-POWER.com
Old 12-29-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Try Again?

Kevin:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread.......it was a Solomon ST-37

First you say you can do 3-4 knots in calm seas & light breezes.......then you say you can punch thru anything a 20-30 hp diesel can do. At what speed are you punching?

Ok, let's say the genset is running, the seas are 5' with 20kt winds on a 40' monohull with 20k displacement ...........what's the expectation?