Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-29-2006

kevplank is on a distinguished road
I think that there is some confusion between two different questions. The motors themselves are full able to "punch" through heavy seas with the performance of a 20-30 hp diesel. The other issue is for how long you can run in those conditions. The motors will do it, but the other side of the equation is how much capacity the batteries have. That is the main variable. The original question involved duration of run at 3-4 knots under easy conditions. Running for 2 hours would be a conservative figure under the light conditions stated.

This equation is very close to our 43' Columbia. I'll give you the quick answer on how the numbers worked out for us. We have a System 4000 on that size of boat. It has a continuous power equal to a 40-50 hp diesel. The motor is able to draw 160 amps at 48 volts continuously. And 600 amps for short periods of time. 600 amps at 48 volts is like having the temp thrust of a 120 hp ICE. The issue then becomes one of duration. Our Columbia has sixteen 6 volt batteries. Two banks of 8 batteries to make 48 volts each. With this formula we plan to run the boat on batteries from St Joe, MI to Chicago (about 55 miles) in about 10-12 hours (4-5 knots). The hull speed on the boat is 9.1 knots. I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006

Now as for the issue of water ingress into the motor. I'll re-paste the earlier post and hopefully clear this issue up as well.

I would also like to add that the motor is designed to be run no less than 5000 hours without leaks. All of this is mute if the motor is damaged. We have a 50% core exchange as well. If, after the warranty is run out, you want or need to replace the motor you will get 50% of the purchase price applied to a factory overhaul. If the factory is gone (heaven forbid). All of the parts will be available and the bearings, seals, and brushes can be replaced from off the shelf parts.
Old 12-29-2006

The last one,

"By the time I add up the pod, batteries and a genset, I'm approaching over budget. I am told by local marine shop that I can have a Yanmar 2 or 3 cylinder installed for about $8500. Does that sound like a reasonable repower cost?"
If what you need is a system 3000, you'll spend about $5,500.00 on motor, installation and batteries. What you spend beyond that could be anywhere from $2K to $10K depending on how elaborate you want to get. Keep in mind that a generator will also be handy for running power for other house power needs.
-
"I want powered cruising to be available for a couple of days, like on the ICW during bad weather."
The motor draws 3800 watts under full continuous (max cruise) power. Charging the batteries via a genset, or by using an AC generator via a battery charger would enable you to cruise under continuous power. Of course we haven't mentioned the use of solar, Wind gens, or the regenerative use of the motor itself under sail.
-
"Those are good questions on how the shaft can turn and not leak back into a fully submerged motor eventually."
Again, this is an issue that has been thought through completely and explained earlier. I would be happy to answer any questions about this in detail on a one to one basis.

I hope that this helps!

Kevin P
RE-E-POWER.com
Old 12-29-2006

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
In summary it looks like an aux genset would be a mandatory requirement for the system to be viable for a cruiser and needing power at any time.

So, considering the percentage of sail time vs. time under power, the question is generator size. Would a small air cooled stand alone genset from Home Depot work (doubt it)?

I want pure electric with pure electric regeneration from sail, ideally. That is not going to happen. OTOH, if I have to have a diesel generator with a water cooling system and exhaust I might as well have a diesel propulsion engine with an alternator and the standard house battery bank.

I guess what I'm looking for is a trade-off list. It's real easy to do a conventional repower, but I really like the possibility of having self regeneration energy and no pollution.
Old 12-29-2006

Let's just all hope that fuel doesn't go over 5 bucks a gallon like they're saying it will this summer.
Old 12-30-2006

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Very Good

KP:
Thanks so very much for your responses, They are very realistic & balanced which is so helpful for anyone interested or considering e-power.
Best to You & your firm as you help expand the market & make advances for even better configurations in the future.
Old 01-01-2007

Thank you!
We're very hopeful about the future. We are always looking for input to improve the product and seeking out new technologies to make this a more viable and affordable alternative.
I hope all of you have the best year ever!

Kevin Plank
RE-E-POWER.com
Old 01-02-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, Kevin. I suppose a submarine designer would be a good man for the job, I guess those little research subs ARE all using this kind of technology, duh!

"Let's just all hope that fuel doesn't go over 5 bucks a gallon "
Much as I will hate seeing that, it may be a very good thing for us all when (not if) that happens. $5 is supposed to be the magic price point where all sorts of alternative fuel synthesis processes become economically feasible, at which point we can have investors funding a domestic synfuel industries and we can tell OPEC "Go pound sand!".I was figuring another 2 years or so, expecting to see $4.25 as the shock point this summer with a "relief" back down to $3.75-ish in the fall. And a similar bump again in 2008.
Old 01-02-2007

progersk is on a distinguished road
Interesting Forum. I too am looking into this, although I have pretty much decided that I need to go with a Deisel Electric system. The power demands are just too much, particularly if one adds other "neccessary" house goodies such as refrigeration and a blender for the margaritas. I am also thinking two drives - one mounted on each side of the existing rudder. (Hinckley Pilot 35' w/full keel) This should give me some close quarters handling that one just doesn't get with a single prop. I am likley going to hold off for at least one more season. The technology and players seem to be getting sorted out.
Old 01-04-2007

That's a good point. The units are unique in that they can be mounted off center from a full keel. They don't take the traditional space inside the boat so having the space to mount them opens up a lot more possiblities. The added steering under power is a big plus.