Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-04-2007

kevplank is on a distinguished road
I would like to take a moment to take off my 'RE-E-POWER" hat and ask a question as a member. Does anyone know about the tax credits that are available to EV purchases? Do they apply to electric boats? Do they apply to conversions? This may be an important finacial aid that is being overlooked, and it would certainly help get the EV industry over the hump.

Thanks!
Kevin P
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Kevin, is there any magic to using the propulsion batteries as a 12V supply as well? Or will an e-power solution also require a 12v bank and genset for the regular ship's power?
Old 01-04-2007
vox clamantis in deserto

sharkbait is on a distinguished road
kevin,check out www.backwoodssolar.com
Old 01-06-2007

kevplank is on a distinguished road
THANKS for the link! That's good information.
As for using the motor batteries for the house supply, we now have a DC to DC converter that we are going to stock. It's only $249.00 USD and it will work with 36 - 70 volts. So it will cover our product range. You can run it to a 12v house battery or you could simply run your 12 volt house straight from the converter. We will have specs on the website soon. We're pretty happy with this product. The quality and price are right on track.

Kevin P
RE-E-POWER
Old 01-27-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I am only posting this here because my MAC it severly limiting my use of this website and I can't post new threads. It might be of help to all of us who have been thinking about electric converions. Last night while lying awake i came to a huge revelation (in my own head at least). After a year of planning my electric drive sysytem, lying awake thinking and worrying how i will come up with all the $ i realized i was barking up the wrong tree.....BIODIesel is the answer. I already have a yanmar, I don't have to do anything but add a few more f/filters and start blending the fuel. I can walk to a place where they sell it from my house. 5 gallon containers are 18 bucks, you just retun them and they get re-filled. There is very little net CO2 production because the plants grown to make it absorb C02. Once you get to 100% bd, the overall exaust is 85% cleaner than regular diesel. It lubricates the engine better so they last longer. The only downside is gelling (at 40 deg f) but my boat is usually out of the water by then. If i still need cold weather use i can add anti gel or mix in a little dino diesel. Also the solvents in BD will cause clogged f/filters as they dissolve old deposits. I might just replace my old fuel lines to avoid this problem. Has anyone else her switched over yet? Let me know pros/cons. It sure seems better than 700lbs of 2,000 dollar batts
Old 01-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SouthernCross31-

What browser and mac are you on? I don't have any issues, and I'm on a 12" PB running OS X and using Camino. FireFox works pretty well too. Safari has some issues IIRC, but I haven't used it as my primary browser in a long while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I'm running os x on a new imac. I can't view photos, forums or much else. All i can do is go to the home page and see the most recent posts. I went to the library yesterday to view my pm's but i can't even log on there. I'm not sure what the problem is but it does not exist on any other chatrooms (i.e.Cruiser forum) when i log on with my MAC. Now the mystery deepens....oh well.
You mentioned sailing in BBay, do you live on the Cape? I'm stuck out in western MA for now (can't get my wife to leave). Although I am down there about once a week to work on the boat. This winter has been torture...no snow for skiing and now frigind weather (although we needed it) so i haven't gotten much done recently. I think i am headed down Sunday though, just to sit in the damn thing and dream .
Old 01-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SC31-

What browser are you using? Also, do you have any of the security features, like not allowing scripts to run, turned on? If so, that could be the problem. PM me with more specific info about your setup, and I'll see if I can help you trouble shoot it.

I don't live on the Cape, but up in the Boston area, but I sail down on Buzzards Bay out of New Bedford. Winter has been torture for me too... and the lack of snow hasn't been helping...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Southerncross-
Biodiesel sure interests me, but as I understand it no diesel engine maker will warranty their engine if 100% biodiesel or WVO is used to run it, and that makes me think twice. I hear too much from folks selling biodiesel as a Holy Miracle, akin to late night TV preachers, and I know the snakeoil merchants are on to the game.
Then too, at $18/5 gallons, you're paying $3.60 per gallon and that's a buck more than I saw dinodiesel selling for yesterday! I'd be more tempted to do the WVO route if I was going to do it that way, and willing to install dual tanks and feed lines and all that other stuff.
For someone who doesn't use much in any case, it just seems cheaper & simpler to burn dinofuel, rather than trying to save the earth solo.
Old 02-11-2007

Shack is on a distinguished road
Grounding?

KevPlank,
Sorry I missed most of this thread. I saw it back in December, but have been away for a while.

If you are still checking this thread please respond to the re-e-power system in regards to what would happen with a grounding. It appears that the mounting of the pod under the hull would present severe damage should the vessel run into the mud or bottom out at low tide. Are there alternate means for mounting the pod so that the prop is in a more traditional location?