Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-12-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Decided on traditional diesel

I finally decided to just get a new Yanmar 3YM20 installed. This is a picture of the engine sitting on the pallet right before installation.

As of now the installation is complete and in use! Great power and very little vibration. I hope this picture post works, first time..

Last edited by JouvertSpirit; 04-12-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008

zeilerman is on a distinguished road
People be carefull if you buy this he can not deliver after 6 months and he is incomunicado My question is re e power stil in bussiness? System was payet complete on odering 6 moths ago.

this is not heresay this is experience

Last edited by zeilerman; 04-16-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2009

lochawe is on a distinguished road
I've been looking at using a RE-E Power electric drive on my C&C Corvette, and this last post...zeilerman 4/08 has me a bit worried. Any recent interaction with Re-E-Power?
Old 12-08-2009
Harmonium S2 11.0

zerryda1 is on a distinguished road
Beware of this company. This was a very expensive mistake:

I ordered and paid for two (2) of the Series 3000 electric boat motor units from Re-e-power in March of 2008 with a delivery date of approximately six weeks later (May 2008). The kits were to include motors, controllers, propellers, throttle controls, amp gauges, charging monitors and wiring harnesses. It took well OVER A YEAR to receive all the components. Even after all that time I had to purchase two (2) propellers myself from a different supplier. (Re-e-power recalled the original two (2) propellers they shipped to me but never shipped me replacements.) Kevin and I negotiated a longer warranty against defective parts to make up for the lack of propellers. I installed the complete system in late May 2009. One motor worked for a day. The other worked for about 3 weeks. Upon inspection it was determined the motors stopped working due to a factory defect that caused water intrusion in both motors. Re-e-power sent new parts (brushes and springs) telling me how serviceable the motors are and I could fix them while they negotiated with the factory to replace the defective units.

One motor was determined, by a local electric motor shop, not to be salvageable. I replaced the brushes and spring, per Re-e-power’s direction, in the other motor. It worked for 15 minutes. Per Re-e-powers directions I replaced the brushes and springs again, and the motor worked for about 2 minutes. I asked Re-e-power for new motors or some other kind of resolution / compensation on 8/26/09. At that time Re-e-power stopped communicating with me. I filed a BBB complaint back on 11/01/09. It is now 12/08/2009 and I have not heard from Re-e-power.

Since Re-e-power did not reply to my emails I was forced to power my boat with alternative methods. This cost me considerable time and expense. Hauling my boat out for repairs to the Re-e-power units alone cost me over $1000.00. I have lost two sailing seasons due to Re-e-power’s lack of customer support and defective products. Since I have repowered my boat by other means. I used a 48 volt sysytem with a Mars Eteck motor and a gear reducer transmission powering the original prop shaft.

The boat goes faster drawing less amps than the Re-e-power setup. Go figure.
Old 12-08-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Notwithstanding the problems with Re-e-power's business practices, I don't understand why using the original prop and shaft isn't done more often. It's already there, is in the proper place per design, and makes a lot more sense to me than hanging an expensive electric motor in the water where it can have issues. Not to mention the drag. Here's a link to a photo series of a guy who repowered his Newport 28 with electric. E-POD 3000+ - Petaris' Photos
If you go to the last series of pics you'll see the problems he had.
Old 12-09-2009

Mark F is on a distinguished road
Hi Brian,

I think most electric repower jobs are inboard using existing prop shaft.
Old 12-09-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Mark
That makes sense to me. Most of the examples I've seen were the opposite. Putting all that gear underwater seems like a backward step. Like a saildrive.
Old 12-09-2009

COOL is on a distinguished road
Operating an electric motor underwater
sounds like a bad idea from the start,
and a pod type arrangement makes no
sense for an auxiliary sailboat.
Electric propulsion may not be quite ready
for general audiences, yet, but it is definitely
on the horizon. A few more sharp spikes in
fuel prices, and this technology will get worked out
real fast.
Old 12-27-2009

Sueballu is on a distinguished road
Re-e-power

Hi
I can not help to reply re these electric motors. We are in Australia and after much research and planning we decided to purchase electric motors for our 38' wharram cat. Even met Kevin at the 2007 Sydney Boat show after 6 months of communication. WE sent the full purchase price for 2 x 3000 Cat pack complete with all components for approx $9000 Aus dollars. It took a year to receive the motors(afte a lot of hasseling)- no controls or props. In 2008 we met two other people who had purchased these motors - they were still having problems, but at least they had all the components. They were both knowledgable on mechanical and electrical issues and were advising Kevin on their attempts to improve these motors. Kevins response was " I like you Aussie's you try and fix issues instead of complaining". One person eventually had to take a pod apart after no communication from Kevin, he found they were poorly built with many different metals. At this stage we tried to communicatre to Kevin we were sending our unused still packaged motors back as we had not recieved controllers and we had lost all confidence in his product. He replied saying he had received another order so he was able to order our controllers - 2 years after paying full price for the kit! At this stage we just wanted amotor so we could move the boat .
Kevin has not replied to anything - we even paid for a solicitor to write a letter of demand. We have just saved enough to purchase Torqueedo motors - and have found that there is at least 4 Australians who have purchased from Kevin and have lost their money - they do not work and he will not communicate. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY!
Old 12-27-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sue-
Depending on where and how you placed the order and what was shipped...By all means remember that you can FIX SOMETHING HERE rather than just be a victim. There are local, state, and federal complaints to be filed either in the US or Oz, criminal complaints that basically require you to file them and then the government takes over. Once a certain $ threshold is crossed, in the US it automatically becomes a matter for the FBI not just local authorities. AU$9k might well cross a threshold, in both nations.
In the US that might include our Postal Inspectors for mail fraud or wire fraud, for taking the order and then not fulfilling it. A lot of bounders will ignore anything you have to say--but when the postal inspectors say "We're cutting off all mail delivery and looking into jail and fines for you" they sit up and take notice, because without the mails they have a harder time stealing more money from new victims.
Ask your authorities, ask our authorities (USPS.COM should have a referral link to the government postal inspectors, the "post office" is just a .com here) and by all means--sic 'em on the guy. What will it cost you? The price of a letter or a notary stamp?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.