Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-26-2006
Living the Dream

dnseal is on a distinguished road
Shorter Single Line Reef Line

Question, to which I may already know the possible answer....

Why run the bitter end of the single line reef line through a gromet or block on the leech of the sail and then back down to the boom? Why not simply end at the leech gromet attachment point? I gather doing so may cause the clew/leech portion of the sail to drop/pull in faster than the luff portion. But then gain as the reef line is pulled in wouldn't it draw tighter on the luff gromet/block first, taking what slack it could from the through line going to the clew/leech portion? Overall I don't see any real benifit of doing so, other than shortening the line by a percentage and having a better bight on the clew/leech portion. Just a urious question as I am redisigning my running rigging and this made me go Hmmmm.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Running the line back to the boom gives you a 2:1 purchase on the line, adding some mechanical advantage. Running simply through the cringle does add some friction, but not enough to defeat the mech. advantage. Using a good block reduces the friction, but adds weight and expense.

A single line as you describe would only save you line length to the depth of the reef - a couple of feet for the first, more for the second etc.

But you will find it much more difficult to actually pull the reefed clew in tight (and with sufficient "outhaul") without a winch.
Old 11-26-2006
Living the Dream

dnseal is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Understood

Good Point, however, when reefing I typically turn to wind and adjust/fit without loads. I understand and appreciate your view though. I am mounting a double reef system with the first reef going to the helm station and the 2nd mast mounted as it would most likely require greater attention, balance and if needed. I am opting for the block system to reduce friction, which on Stella shouldn't affect her 450 sq ft too much. By the way She has a very low sail aspet ratio. I was just wondering if there were othe possibilities out there.... thanks again
gil
Old 11-26-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
reef to the boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnseal
Question, to which I may already know the possible answer....

Why run the bitter end of the single line reef line ....back down to the boom? ...
You need the turn on the boom so that the foot of the reefed sail is properly tensioned, the foot gets shorter with each reef. The termination of the reef line on the boom in effect provides a new clew, at an appropriate location for the length of that foot. The reefing line needs to both pull the reef point TO the boom while also tensioning the foot

If you did not connect the bitter end to the boom, and you were trying to trim the leech reefing point out to the normal clew location at the end of the boom, you'd run the risk of ripping reef point right out of the sail, or at best the main would have a fat and not so funny shape.

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-26-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-26-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
You need that block for the additional purchase and possible winch to tighten what is now the new outhaul. Mine goes forward nearly to the mast and yes I must stand at the mast to reef but in one place I am able to attach the new clue at the mast and winch the line (I have a winch on the boom) of the new outhaul and cleat it off. One more thing... those lines that keep being refered to as "reef points" are called cringles and their purpose is to gather up the extra foot only. I am not pointing this out to be a know it all but merely to set the record for the newer sailors that might rip their sail up thinking that their purpose was to reef the sail.

All opinions expressed here by pigslo come straight from the pigs snout and as such are not to be taken seriously, only for entertainment, not to be considered valuable, or otherwise read. Consult your attorney before proceeding. Consult the yellow pages if you do not have an attorney. Ask a friend if you do not have a yellow pages. Buy a boat if you do not have a friend and you will have many then.

Last edited by pigslo; 11-26-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You have to have the line come straight down to the boom as well as back to the end of the boom in order for the new "clew" of the sail to be tensioned properly.

Ideally, you want to pull the clew reefing cringle down as well as out towards the end of the boom. Running the line just up to the reefing cringle will give you the out towards the end of the boom, but will not allow you to give sufficient "downwards" force on the cringle. In the case of strong winds, which is why you're reefing to begin with, the cringle will rise and stress the sail where it isn't properly reinforced, often causing it to tear. Saving some $20-30 on the slightly shorter reefing line could cost you $300+ in sail repairs.... not exactly a wise way to spend your money.

PBTW, any grommet through a sail is called a cringle, and the smaller ones at the reefing points are not reinforced to hold the sail against the stress of the wind, but are merely designed to allow you to tie up the bunt of the sail and keep it from chafing itself to death on a longer passage, as Pigslo has pointed out. Also, it is very important to remember to untie these before trying to shake out a reef, or you'll very likely tear the sail.

The two larger reefing cringles at the luff and leech are heavily reinforced to act as the new "foot" of the reefed sail.

One last point...if you're doing a double line reefing system, it is better to tighten the tack reefing line first, and then do the clew reefing line. Pineapple sails recommends against single-line reefing systems because you can not tension the tack reef point prior to tensioning the clew reef point, and that can damage the sails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-26-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
More reasons

You will also find that having the reefline go just from the boom and to the reef cringle, without going back down to the boom causes a couple of other bad things. 1/The boom will tend to droop, so you may not be able to sheet it in all the way before it starts to hit the dodger, cabintop, or the heads of crew in the cockpit. 2/As Sailingdog mentioned above, the leech will be looser, because there is less downward component pulling on the clew. When the wind pipes up and you want a reef, you want the sails to be as flat as possible, not loose. On a positive note, taking the end of the reefing line back to the boom can also help to bunch the sail up a bit, so it doesn't flog so much. We have ours set up this way, and it is quite simple and effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brise typique.jpg (61.1 KB, 59 views)