Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-27-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Here's a story for you..

My boat's twin sister (built in 2002, mine 2006), racing the Around Portugal Regatta, was sailing downwind, at 21kts when at 21:20 the lower shroud's turn buckle failed due to admited manufacturing defect.

The middle part of the mast ( custom Sparcraft) disapeared, as well as the spinnaker, spi pole and a few blocks. Main sail was torn also.

The violence when the mast broke was such that the windvane, VHF antenna and ST60 rotor were clean off!!.

Managed to sail back home (note the engine is a small 20HP NANI just to get in and out of marina, that can't get more than 5kts at full power), with 2nd spinnaker pole and small storm stay. (you can see the makeshift rig in the photo).

It was a litle scary, because no one could see a thing in the dark.

New mast in place, after 1 month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt.jpg (92.3 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by Giulietta; 01-03-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2006

kmorty33 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
It sounds like that would have been pretty scary, especially in the dark. Glad you came out okay.
Kmorty33
Old 11-28-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Now thats a story!
I always wondered in a demasting, where is the mast going to fall?

I guess you were sailing downwind so it probably blew forward or overboard, but what would have happened if you had been beating to windward? Would it have fallen on top of you?

Nice job of jury rigging to get you home. Thats a great job of seamanship.
Old 11-28-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Normally, when it breaks, "it comes back right at you", only because on most occasions it only breaks or bends in one point and the rest just pivots down, and everything gets under the boat, slight mess.

The case here was much different, it broke in 2 locations and a portion of the center section just disappeared, halyards cut electircal wire cut also, like the whole thing was cut by a blade. In the dark and with the noise is hard to see, but most probably the mast cut everything else or a shroud did it.

However, very rarely do they fall backwards into the cockpit. At least those I saw.
Old 11-28-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
"racing the Around Portugal Regatta"

How does one stage a yacht race around Portugal? ;-)
Old 11-28-2006

Talking

LOL, I see your point.... You cant go around something that only has 2 sides.....

The name for the race is "Volta a Portugal", and I simply translated "volta" wich means Around in English....

Still, I agree, even in Portuguese the name is stupid. But it just means that you sail the whole Country north to South.

The Spanish have a Race that starts in Vigo a sails to Portugal and they call it "Baixada" translates into "the act of getting down":

Still very hard racing.... rough seas sometimes... but hey....we're portuguese, the best Sailors in the World.. or used to be...
Old 11-28-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Giulietta:

We look forward to your contributions. It's nice to have someone here from the other side of the Atlantic.
Old 11-28-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
While you are looking forward John...look back as well, at G's other 54 posts!
Old 11-29-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
Giulietta i think yotphix was implying that have posted quite often ( a good thing) meaning you are not a new comer to this site! glad every thin gworked out ok after dismasting and no one was hurt
regards mike
Old 11-29-2006

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
Giulietta i don't think Yotphix was implying anything derrogitory toward you or your post but, merely implying that you are not a new comer to the site and for Johnrb to check out your other posts
glad everything worked out alright with dismasting and no one was hurt
regards mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.