Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-27-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bill...I have one all chain rode and one rope/chain so I understand the need for good tackle and the advantages of each. Given his limited proposed cruising grounds...what anchoring advantage do you feel all chain provides? (I understand the resale value argument).
My own feeling is that a combination rode with sufficient chain up front is a better system for the shock loads of a good blow to KEEP you anchored when the catenary effect of all chain is lost. I know that the snubbers provide some slack but not to the same effect as an extended nylon rode. In coral or other high chafe environments all chain is my choice as well.

Labatt...you mention 3 anchors but are only looking for input on one rode. Why is that? What does the boat have already?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Here's what came with the boat.

Anchors: Bruce 45#; CQR 35#; Fortress 23#
Rode: 150' 5/16" high test chain; 200' 3/4" nylon; 150' 3/4" nylon

I'm guessing the bruce was the primary I'm not a lover of the Bruce... I'm thinking of making it my backup and buying a big Delta Fastset which I had excellent luck with on my prior boat (albeit much smaller). I'm debating 50ft of chain + 300ft of line, or 300ft of chain + 50ft of line. I spent many days anchored in 60 ft. of water last summer - I want the flexibility to anchor wherever I want, and away from people who may not have as much rode. Lake Champlain is a very deep lake, all the way to the edge, although others have pointed out to me that there are plenty of anchorages in the 20'-30' range. I'm sure there are, but I didn't find them in the one season I was on the lake. I will definitely be looking for them this year!

The following year we plan to bring our boat to Cape Cod (although I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a slip or mooring within a reasonable distance of my house near Albany NY i.e. no more than 3 hours away). We'll be cruising throughout Cape Cod and the Maine coast.

Then we'll be selling our boat and moving up to a 50'-55'. I should say moving onto since we'll be spending the next 18 months living on it.

I do not expect to be anchoring THIS boat anywhere that coral exists. We will be anchoring it in rock, sand and mud.

I'll be doing a complete inventory of the boat in a couple of weeks and I plan to pull all of the chain and rode out of the locker to check its condition. I have a pricing request in to Defender right now for a 300' chain + 50' brait combo. I don't even want to guess what shipping costs will be! I should see about buying it local - it will be the one time when tax will be less than shipping!

And with regards to beer, I will drink a Labatt's when visiting Canada, but I'm much more of a Sam Smith Nut Brown or Oatmeal Stout guy myself, served warm and in a pint glass I'd still much prefer a Planter's Punch from American Yacht Club in Rye, NY any day.
Old 11-28-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt... I agree with you on the anchors... a #55 Delta (or equivilent Spade or Rocna) would be a much safer primary. Given your existing rodes...why not combine the 150 chain and 150 nylon into one rode then add 50 ft. of chain to the other nylon and run the Bruce off of that? 150' of chain will give you an all chain rode in anything less than 30' and no need for a snubber in anything over that!
Old 11-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chain has some advantages over nylon, but also has some serious disadvantages.

Advantages:

Chafe resistance, catenary curve,

Disadvantages:

Weight, shock loading of ground tackle, generally requires a windlass,

BTW, the catenary curve provided by chain is negated in high wind conditions, when both chain and nylon rodes are going to be heavily loaded and essentially straightened out.

Depending on your boat, it may make more sense to go with a combination rode, with about 30-60' of chain to give the rode chafe resistance, and then the rest of three-strand nylon, for the shock absorbtion and lower weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-29-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Labatt... I agree with you on the anchors... a #55 Delta (or equivilent Spade or Rocna) would be a much safer primary. Given your existing rodes...why not combine the 150 chain and 150 nylon into one rode then add 50 ft. of chain to the other nylon and run the Bruce off of that? 150' of chain will give you an all chain rode in anything less than 30' and no need for a snubber in anything over that!
The 55# Delta is exactly what I was thinking. Also, not a bad idea to combine rodes. When we go down to work on the boat in a couple of weeks I'll look at the viability of that. Defender wants $760 for 300' of 5/16" BBB connected to 50' of 5/8" brait with shackle and splice, but not including shipping (which will probably be $150 or so, by truck). My wife and I were just trying to figure out how we would get it to the boat!
Old 11-30-2006

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
My wife is having a problem with me spending 5 to 10 boat units on chunks of metal, but I get to make the final decision.
How does that work?