Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-24-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
If one is really dependent on electric power, isn't there a point where a generator might be a simpler solution?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2006

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Now I figured that I wanted a battery bank of 1000amps for our lifestyle so the difference in price between 8D wet cells and 8D AGMS is times 4 or about $1200 bucks. For a $1200 buck differential ya gotta do more than save me the the water fillup routine! (The boat may be big but I'm CHEAP!!)
Nothing like a battery discussion, it might go on forever!
However the above quote is perhaps the main 'answer' to the question.
Turn it a bit around and put it like this:
Choose batteries according to Your life style or choose lifestyle according to Your batteries.
Old 12-24-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Goodnews...Generators...we have one...you still don't wanna be running it too much as even the quiet ones are too darn noisey...but it is great for charging the batteries and putting thre air conditioning on while you do it!

Haffiman...exactly right on the lifestyle thing...everyone cruises in their own style according to taste and budget. We worked hard for years longer than necessary to go cruising but just long enough to go while maintaining our own desired lifestyle. I have no issues with those who prefer a more spartan OR a more luxurious approach. I did not intend to choose my lifestyle based on my batteries ...maybe you should get a 1000 amp bank so you wouldn't be choosing your batteries according to YOUR lifestyle! ...but I would point out that even with 1/2 of our "lifestyle need" the AGM's are still a better $$ deal for full time cruisers over the long term.
Old 12-24-2006

Cameraderie:
I did not choose boat or equipement according to my life style, I had quite different parameters as base.
I did not go cruising because a long lasting dream of exploring the sea and living the life of a 'sea gypsy'. We had planned to move to Malaysia, and why not take the oportunity and do it by sailing?
I chose the boat size and type after what I considdered safe for mostly single handed sailing as my wife was rather unexperienced. I chose the SO37 due to its construction and not to forget its 'certified' pay load capacity. I chose equipement according towhat would give the less maintance and problems and not to forget parts availability if needed. That was the main reason for going with the standard battery set up and not adding gels, generator(s)/regulators, except for a Honda 1000 gen set and a seperate trickle charger which was more used by other yachters charging their huge banks while they were waiting for spare parts to their own generators, wind mills, solarpanel regulators that had failed and had to be shipped from US/ Europe! My fridge and autpilot was running 24 hours a day, but I left out the air con and the TV.
Planning a trip like mine is not only about adding according to a 'whish list', it is perhaps more about evaluating what You have according to Your needs and requirements. Then if needed, add or modify. I had in fact no budget, I got the equipement I felt needed, we stayed in marinas, enjoyed the restaurants ashore when available and convenient. The only time we stayed at a hotel was in Panama when the boat was hauled out for a bottom job.
And for a replacement cost of 200US$ which was what I paid locally here in Langkawi I might even do the same choise again.
And that is the beauty of cruising: You are free to choose!
Old 12-24-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Haffiman...well said! You did it and it was a choice made from studying the alternatives and having a plan and that is the foundation of good seamanship.
I just took a look at your website briefly...looks great and I think I will be doing some reading over the holiday!! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2006

Enjoy Your holiday and the reading and FEEL FREE to CHOOSE and use whatever You find for comments to posts on the board!