Just another Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Thanked 317 Times in 302 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Having been through a similar project - but on a 40 footer - on the topic of sanding I'd add this:
Your technique has to be good, and patience is a virtue. We had to sand paint and primer (the failed bond was between the primer and whatever the paint was that was applied by the PO) Since we didn't know what the primer was either, we elected to get if off as well.
As it turned out the primer was really on there, and in the course of sanding it off with random orbital sanders, patience wore thin and techniques became more aggressive.
As a result, after spending a small fortune on sanding pads/paper, we then spent considerable time (and money - Epifill doesn't come cheap) attempting to re-fair the hull. In hindsight I'd have tried some other method of paint removal, even if apparently more costly.
On a project like yours, there's a lot less area to deal with, and you may be able to avoid our problems. Using a longboard and doing things by hand may be the safest, but slowest way to do it.
Ultimately we ended up with an Awlgripped hull that looked 100 times better than before, but I was never able to drift by in the dinghy without seeing the spots we didn't quite get right. (Few others noticed, though)