Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-28-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Travelling down the ICW

Ok, is it just me, or do the cans/nuns grow darker and darker as your age wears on? At nightime, that is. We end up having my 6 year old point them out for us half the time.

As long as we have been boating, we have travelled down the ditch like every other sailor at night: Watching the radar, keep shinning the handheld light ahead, etc. But every time I pull the trigger on that light it inevitably hits some part of the bimini, blinding us for a moment, then we lose our night vision and end up having to use the light more, etc, etc.... one of cruisings little frustrations, I guess.

Now, at the risk of making my boat look like a freighter, what about:

Mounting a spot light forward like many of the motoryachts use? Not one of the huge ones, one about the same size/draw as a handheld? What about some kind of fixed-mount spot light on the stanchion in front of the jib? You could switch it on/off at the cockpit.

Now, why wouldn't that work and has anyone else thought of this/done it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If we have to do that we usually send a crew up to the bow, and run the power cord for the spotlight in through a forward port. But you could do it powerboat style, they make spotlights designed to be installed in the hull itself on either forward quarter. Not traditional sailing rig, but...they work.

More elegant and costly is generation three night vision equipment. Real sailors don't need lights, they can see in the dark.
Old 11-28-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hello,

Yeah, but who wants to sit up on the bow for hours on end, or all night?

I think the whole powerboat thing is just the way to go. Since I cannot afford my Nordhavn, (well, and go cruising too), I will just make my cheap little sailboat look like one. Bloody mast is kinda screwing up the Nordhavn lines though. You think if I took down my mast and painted N46 on my deck, I could fool anyone?
Old 11-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Your night vision degrades as you get older... vitamin A does help though... What you really need is a set of light-amplification or night vision goggles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-28-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
What the hell is the ICW??
Old 11-28-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
What the hell is the ICW??
It's the Intracoastal Waterway. a 3,000 mile long route made up of both natural and manmade protected waterways along the Atlantic coast of the US around to the Gulf of Mexico. It was originally very well maintained, but now many of the northern portions of it are only navigable by shallow draft vessels due to lack of funding.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracoastal_Waterway

Last edited by labatt; 11-28-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
The USA East Coast / IntraCoastal Waterway (ICW). Check out the nice link below.
http://www.waterwayguide.com/cruising_p.html

I know nothing like this in Portugal I was born and raised there.
Old 11-28-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Nelson, onde??? Portuga??ahaha a serio??
Old 11-28-2006

Cooooool, obrigado Nelson,
In fact we do not have any of that there, not even close. We're slightly smaller than Indiana!! If you sail 1000 miles south you're in mid Africa, and the only water way I know there is any way to get up North ASAP!!!

But remeber, no matter how many waterways you have, we were the first ones to make water ways!!!

And a Portuguese was the first around the world by boat!!
Old 11-28-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Icw

I was born no Covas do Douro (where the best Port wine comes from) between 7 km from N. PINHAO, between VILA REAL and REGUA but I lived in ALCANTRA LISBOA by the (docas).