Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-28-2006

jmcleod is on a distinguished road
Autopilot for Tiller-Steered 22,000lb Displacement Yacht

I have been looking at the specs for tiller auto-pilot rams -- ie Raymarine -- they seem to be rated for up to boats of about 15,000lb displacement.

I'm _cautiously_ thinking about changing my 22,000lb displacement Union 36 to tiller steering (from Edson worm steer). So a tiller pilot would not be appropriate, given the displacement of my boat.

Next option would be a below deck linear drive.

However, the Raymarine website says their below deck linear drives are 'for mechanically steered boats' -- by which I assume they mean wheel-steering (tiller steering is not 'mechanical')

Can anyone think of a reason why I could not fit a Raymarine below deck linear ram drive directly attached to the rudder post (via short tiller) -- in conjunction with, say, the Raymarine ST6001 'head' and matched core pack?

I'm thinking that -- when such an autopilot system is steering the boat -- the tiller would need to be up, rather than (potentially) sweeping around the cockpit.

Anyone seen such a system in operation?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Unless you're somehow changing the rudder post itself, I don't see where it would matter if it's attached to a wheel or a tiller, if the linear drive mounts directly to the post for a wheel steered boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Correct...you simply attach the ram to the quadrant....and mechanical steering in this case simply means "not hydraulically steered".... i.e. tiller or wheel steered by hand/cables/gears. You can buy quadrants and fit them to your rudder post if needed.
I would however suggest something other than the worm gear RayMarine unit...prone to failure. Prefer the Simrad approach myself after going through 2 raymarine worm gears in my 25,000 lb last boat.
You need something like this:
http://boating-electronics.stores.ya...siauappa5.html

The hydraulic/ram unit will attach to your quadrant and the main issue for most installations is finding or building a stable platform to mount the ram on so that it can drive the adjacent quadrant from the right distance/angle. This would apply to ANY brand under-deck pilot.