Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The real problem is that a lot of the containers are lost near major ports, from what I understand. Hitting one in the open ocean is probably a pretty rare occurence, but the risk probably goes up a bit higher near major shipping ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
THe only way my Catalina is going to make 20knots is on the back of a truck.
I am feeling safer about this whole forward facing sonar thing with every thread.
Old 11-29-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
"The real problem is that a lot of the containers are lost near major ports"
Probably because the shipping lanes all converge on the major ports, so there's just more traffic losing cargo near them.
OTOH they claim most of the losses are at sea due to bad wx and improper stowage (it costs money to hire crew who can tie things down, right?) but what's lost at sea has far more acreage to get lost in.

What I don't understand is the position taken by maritime law, that the owners of this flotsam are not responsible for the damage it does. I can understand that concept--but this stuff isn't lost because of "the sea", it is lost because greedy owners are simply overloading ships and negligently failing to secure their routine cargoes. That's negligence, gross negligence, and people are supposed to be held responsible for that.
Even under maritime law.
Old 11-29-2006

khbritten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
The real problem is that a lot of the containers are lost near major ports, from what I understand. Hitting one in the open ocean is probably a pretty rare occurence, but the risk probably goes up a bit higher near major shipping ports.
Maybe a lot of them, but not all.... check out the pictures at the end of this link! These probably ended up right on the way back from Hawaii to the west coast, until they sank.

http://www.cargolaw.com/2005nightmare_backhaul.html
Old 11-29-2006

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
A report from an experienced cruiser is "Interphase Forward-Looking Sonar. Good concept, difficult to use and understand the data. The jury is out on this one. "
http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/backhus/george119.html
I think hitting a whale might be more common than hitting a container, and vaguely recall a suggestion of using a piano wire attached to the bowsprit to set up a high frequency warning - who knows. It might be useful for coral, but a lookout except for singlehanders might be more reliable.
Old 11-29-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
CHris,

Nah, a lookout isn't going to work, at all. After about a day at sea there is no way you can just sit there and stare ahead. I am doing good to glance around the horizon every 15 or so (though i will tell you the truth that I usually just glance at the radar). You would not know it until you hit it.

Poor guy that started this... all he wanted to know is if someone has ever used one of these... I think I screwed it up for him. Sorry about that.
Old 11-29-2006

Dawkahab is on a distinguished road
Interphase unit is not what they claim, I have used one for two years off shore and it is not very definitive
Old 11-29-2006

No worries, Cruisingdad - if I can't have information, I am always happy with a little entertainment!
Old 11-29-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawkahab
Interphase unit is not what they claim, I have used one for two years off shore and it is not very definitive
Aha, some real information! What do you mean? Does it not see stuff you can see on lookout, like whales? Noise from the waves? What seems to be the problem?
Old 11-29-2006

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I know two boats that use an interphase unit, but they use them to find submerged pilings while anchoring and to follow a channel entrance. I don't think they even turn them on at other times.