Sherwin Williams COPPER BOTTOM ANTI-FOULING PAINT #45 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-18-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Sherwin Williams COPPER BOTTOM ANTI-FOULING PAINT #45

Sherwin Williams COPPER BOTTOM ANTI-FOULING PAINT #45.
Has anybody used this paint in the tropics? Have you met anyone who has? Though I cannot find a price for this paint anywhere online, it is rumored to cost under us$100.00 per gallon!
If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics, at a quarter the price.
It even comes in 5 gallon drums!
A decent paint at a fair price? Tell me it's so, please.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-18-2016

Dock
Re: Sherwin Williams COPPER BOTTOM ANTI-FOULING PAINT #45

Cant see a price on google

Copper Bottom Anti-Fouling Paint #45 - Protective & Marine

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #3 of 32 Old 07-18-2016

Dock

Post 66 and 69 on Anti foul, bottom paint, soft, medium or hard? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Sea Life

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
capta (07-18-2016)

post #4 of 32 Old 07-18-2016

Looked and can't find a price either. Will try to go to Sherman Williams store when I can and report back if I get any information. Looked at economics of this and think much depends on how often you haul and where. For us what has worked out is:
Use multiple coats of ablative with highest Cu % when north and having a haul. Three on leading and trailing edges. Two elsewhere.
Use something with tin and hauling south.
Removing bottom paint is a PITA. Not a fan of hard for cruising boats. Makes sense for racers and those with bigger budgets than me. Water based stuff is being forced on us so brought a bunch of the old stuff and it has the better anti slime. Don't know what I'll do when it's gone. If stripping is done Do it yourself you run risk of going through epoxy coat. Depending on where you are there maybe restrictions on how and who can do it. Containing and disposal of residue etc.
Hence a practical sailor checked multi year ablative may end up cheaper in the long run. Personally like the 66 but find the anti slime effect and grass at waterline not so good as in the past. Use a light touch with a terry cloth rage which serves. Try not to see black clouds. Use a bendy plastic scraper with side edges ground off for rare hard growth. Only thing I can't keep clean is bow thruster. Put Velox plus on it last haul. Too soon to comment.
bob77903, capta and baywater like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
capta (07-18-2016)
post #5 of 32 Old 07-18-2016
Old enough to know better

I stopped by a local store last fall to get info, and they knew nothing about it, but assured me that they would get back to me, but never did. But this does not sound like it would be great in the tropics here is there description:

Quote:
Used for moderate tropical fouling conditions where a moderately high concentration loading of cuprous oxide is required. Used as an anti-fouling coating over prepared surfaces such as steel, wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and previously painted surfaces coated with anti-fouling paint. Use on vessels with a service speed of less than 10 knots.
moderate tropical fouling conditions does not sound encouraging. Have you heard anything about PPG ABC #3 (they have other #s but I don't know the difference). PPG makes some pretty good professional paints and it is supposed to get good results in Hawaii. About 130 a gallon, and is also available in 5 gallon cans.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #6 of 32 Old 07-18-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Yep, I found that too. I also read up on their their commercial antifouling for vessels that travel over 10 knots so they seem to have been in the biz for some time.
I like that it's a tropical formula, not some 'good for everybody, everywhere' paint.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

Our Videos;

post #7 of 32 Old 07-18-2016

"If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics"

So they're claiming it's 40 times as effective as any other paint? I can't seem to find that in the marketing material.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #8 of 32 Old 07-18-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
"If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics"

So they're claiming it's 40 times as effective as any other paint? I can't seem to find that in the marketing material.
Here, I'll try to simplify it enough so you can understand it.
I said, "If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics, at a quarter the price." I said that because neither I nor anybody else I've talked to down here has had even moderate antifouling results from any of the common antifouling products available (see my previous posts on the subject).
Read their product data sheet for what they claim, if you care, which I don't see why you would because last time I checked Frisco was not tropical and this is a paint formulated for the tropics ("Used for moderate tropical fouling conditions"), no matter what San Francisco''s clamorous bottom cleaner believes!

Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 07-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-18-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I said that because neither I nor anybody else I've talked to down here has had even moderate antifouling results from any of the common antifouling products available

I agree with that!! At $1,000 just for the paint for a 40 footer e are being ripped off!
capta likes this.

Sea Life

post #10 of 32 Old 07-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Here, I'll try to simplify it enough so you can understand it.
I said, "If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics, at a quarter the price." I said that because neither I nor anybody else I've talked to down here has had even moderate antifouling results from any of the common antifouling products available (see my previous posts on the subject).
Read their product data sheet for what they claim, if you care, which I don't see why you would because last time I checked Frisco was not tropical and this is a paint formulated for the tropics ("Used for moderate tropical fouling conditions"), no matter what San Francisco''s clamorous bottom cleaner believes!
The principle anti-fouling ingredient of these two bottom paints is copper (unless you were using the Sea Hawk that also has TBT). One of these products is 45% copper, and the other is 47% copper, the latter being the Sea Hawk. So it remains to ask whether a paint that has 2% less copper is likely to be 10 times as effective. If we're comparing to the TBT formulation of Sea Hawk, we are asking how a product with 2% less copper, AND no TBT, would be 10 times as effective. I don't know, but I can make an educated guess....

Could it be possible that you are just in a really difficult environment for bottom paints?

For a paint with more or less the same amount of copper to be 10 times as effective, it would have to release it 10 times more quickly. I don't think you'd be happy with a 3 month lifetime for the paint.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Last edited by MarkSF; 07-18-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.