SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sherwin Williams COPPER BOTTOM ANTI-FOULING PAINT #45

22K views 91 replies 20 participants last post by  hpeer 
#1 ·
Sherwin Williams COPPER BOTTOM ANTI-FOULING PAINT #45.
Has anybody used this paint in the tropics? Have you met anyone who has? Though I cannot find a price for this paint anywhere online, it is rumored to cost under us$100.00 per gallon!
If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics, at a quarter the price.
It even comes in 5 gallon drums!
A decent paint at a fair price? Tell me it's so, please.

#6 ·
Yep, I found that too. I also read up on their their commercial antifouling for vessels that travel over 10 knots so they seem to have been in the biz for some time.
I like that it's a tropical formula, not some 'good for everybody, everywhere' paint.

#4 ·
Looked and can't find a price either. Will try to go to Sherman Williams store when I can and report back if I get any information. Looked at economics of this and think much depends on how often you haul and where. For us what has worked out is:
Use multiple coats of ablative with highest Cu % when north and having a haul. Three on leading and trailing edges. Two elsewhere.
Use something with tin and hauling south.
Removing bottom paint is a PITA. Not a fan of hard for cruising boats. Makes sense for racers and those with bigger budgets than me. Water based stuff is being forced on us so brought a bunch of the old stuff and it has the better anti slime. Don't know what I'll do when it's gone. If stripping is done Do it yourself you run risk of going through epoxy coat. Depending on where you are there maybe restrictions on how and who can do it. Containing and disposal of residue etc.
Hence a practical sailor checked multi year ablative may end up cheaper in the long run. Personally like the 66 but find the anti slime effect and grass at waterline not so good as in the past. Use a light touch with a terry cloth rage which serves. Try not to see black clouds. Use a bendy plastic scraper with side edges ground off for rare hard growth. Only thing I can't keep clean is bow thruster. Put Velox plus on it last haul. Too soon to comment.

#5 ·
I stopped by a local store last fall to get info, and they knew nothing about it, but assured me that they would get back to me, but never did. But this does not sound like it would be great in the tropics here is there description:

Used for moderate tropical fouling conditions where a moderately high concentration loading of cuprous oxide is required. Used as an anti-fouling coating over prepared surfaces such as steel, wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and previously painted surfaces coated with anti-fouling paint. Use on vessels with a service speed of less than 10 knots.
moderate tropical fouling conditions does not sound encouraging. Have you heard anything about PPG ABC #3 (they have other #s but I don't know the difference). PPG makes some pretty good professional paints and it is supposed to get good results in Hawaii. About 130 a gallon, and is also available in 5 gallon cans.

#18 ·
Have you heard anything about PPG ABC #3 (they have other #s but I don't know the difference). PPG makes some pretty good professional paints and it is supposed to get good results in Hawaii. About 130 a gallon, and is also available in 5 gallon cans.
I found out about that one myself about 6 months ago. Suposedly used on commercial ships since they don't haul out often and claim 5yr use out of it.

I'm looking at using ABC #3 myself when it's time to launch.

#7 ·
"If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics"

So they're claiming it's 40 times as effective as any other paint? I can't seem to find that in the marketing material.

#8 · (Edited)
Here, I'll try to simplify it enough so you can understand it.
I said, "If this product is even a quarter as effective as claimed, it would be 10 times better than Sea Hawk Island 44 or any other paint anybody I know has used down here in the tropics, at a quarter the price." I said that because neither I nor anybody else I've talked to down here has had even moderate antifouling results from any of the common antifouling products available (see my previous posts on the subject).
Read their product data sheet for what they claim, if you care, which I don't see why you would because last time I checked Frisco was not tropical and this is a paint formulated for the tropics ("Used for moderate tropical fouling conditions"), no matter what San Francisco''s clamorous bottom cleaner believes!

#15 ·
Sounds like you are advertising for fastbottoms.
We are our own divers and there's nothing "less expensive" about spending the time, tools and effort cleaning a bottom we've paid good money to antifoul. Therefore this post seeking information about a cheap paint.

#16 ·
1. With some things, including bottom paint, you get what you pay for.
2. There is no such thing as antifoul which doesn't need at least some cleaning.

btw:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tributyltin
FTA: "Toxicity[edit]
The effects of antifouling paint go beyond the organisms that it is intended to kill. By poisoning barnacles, algae, and other organisms at the bottom of the food chain, TBT is biomagnified up the marine predators' food web. It has been shown to harmfully affect many layers of the ecosystem, including invertebrates and vertebrates, even humans. Toxic effects in some species occur at 1 nano-gram per liter of water.[8]

Bioaccumulation[edit]
Even with its ban, TBT presents a danger to the environment. One of the most problematic aspects of TBT is its accumulation in sediments and its long half life of about 2 years. TBT often bonds to suspended material and sediments to the bottom, where it can remain and be released for up to 30 years.[9]"

#19 ·
"With some things, including bottom paint, you get what you pay for." Apparently not, as even the expensive ones are not very effective any more.
As for the rest of your post, I'll stack my "Toxicity footprint" up against yours any day of the week. I would much appreciate it if you did not lecture me when you're probably polluting this planet at a rate 100 times greater (or more) than I.
Let he who poluteth not cast the first stone.....

#17 ·
Petit Horizons ablative "Deep Purple. Someone mixed the red and blue pigment at the factory. $45 a gallon at Defender three years ago. I bought 100 gallons. sold about half at a profit to get all my money back, sold some to friends at cost, kept 20 gallons for myself. Mix in a quart of black and it turns black but I don't bother with that mess.

Some people attempt to make fun of the color but I feel I'm having the last laugh. Now that's cheap bottom paint!

#21 ·
We've done 4 bottom jobs with ABC3. Definitely not a magical paint but a great bang for the buck. We paid between $80 and $125 per gallon and it seemed to last about 2 years. It's ablative so I think it wore thin but didn't lose its antifouling properties. We spent most of the time in Southern Florida and the Keys where the growth is pretty aggressive. All in all we have been very satisfied with the product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
It's so in my area. I've mentioned it before here but a guy who scrubs 100 bottoms a day out west and still manages to be on SN all the time doesn't think it's any good. Funny, there are a lot of boats around me using it and are very satisfied. Most in my marina that are using it are getting 2 full years out of it and a few have stretched to 3. I can endorse it as a good value for my area from boats I've seen hauled and spoken directly with the owners who intend to use it again on their next haul. Keep in mind, many are converts from Micron 66.

#25 ·
I've mentioned it before here but a guy who scrubs 100 bottoms a day out west and still manages to be on SN all the time doesn't think it's any good.
Guess what, chief? I've never once posted an opinion about Sherwin Williams Copper Bottom Anti Fouling Paint #45. I'd never even heard of the product before this thread was started. Maybe you should ratchet back the snarkiness before posting ill-informed bullsh*t, hmmm?

#24 ·
We are on our second application of PPG Ameron ABC3. The first barely lasted 2 years...but that was because of an overly aggressive bottom cleaner who took a lot off plus I needed a short haul and the power washer took a lot off also.

I also had some adhesion issues which I think were related to launching too soon after painting. Applied it this spring and so far it is totally clean. I expect 2 to 3 years cruising New England in summer and Bahamas and Fl in winter. I have also talked directly with people who got 5 years sitting in mid-lattitudes.

#28 · (Edited)
I'm not saying that ABC3 isn't a great anti fouling paint- I'm sure it is. But let's face it, Seattle isn't exactly a hotbed of fouling. And even if it were, commercial fishermen are notorious for not having their hulls cleaned. In fact, I'd wager that a large percentage of the fleet you are referring don't even live in saltwater during the offseason.

My point is that it's tough to draw meaningful conclusions about a paint based on anecdotal evidence from a low-fouling region.

#29 ·
I'm not saying that ABC3 isn't a great anti fouling paint- I'm sure it is. But let's face it, Seattle isn't exactly a hotbed of fouling. And even if it were, commercial fishermen are notorius for not having their hulls cleaned. In fact, I'd wager that a large percentage of the fleet you are referring don't even live in saltwater during the offseason.

My point is that it's tough to draw meaningful conclusions about a paint based on anecdotal evidence from a low-fouling region.
It's all anecdotal, as is your response. Facts will always be hard to come by in the proverbial bottom paint debate.

#32 · (Edited)
What part of, "I've never heard of Copper Bottom Anti Fouling Paint #45 before" don't you understand? I didn't comment on it on it then (despite your attempt to infer that I did) because I've never cleaned a boat that uses it. I absolutely stand by my low opinion of every Sherwin Williams product with which I do have experience however.

#40 ·
An update:
We applied Sherwin Williams SEAVOYAGE 100 CDP, @ us$105.00 a gallon, antifouling bottom paint in Oct 2016 and it did stay on for two years without any problems, unlike the Sea Hawk products we have used in the past.
The antifouling properties of the Sherwin Williams SEAVOYAGE 100 CDP, were much, much better than the last Interlux product I used in 2009 and so far superior to Sea Hawk island 44 that I couldn't even honestly call the Sea Hawk product paint, as it didn't stay on more than 6 months or so, even though it was professionally applied two years in a row by a very reputable contractor. Sea Hawk would not stand behind their product and every attempt to come to an equitable agreement, including having replacement bottom paint applied by the contractor of their choice in the yard of their choice, were rebuffed rather impolitely.
I still have not been able to get any #45 antifouling to try, but I was able to get 6 gallons of the SeaVoyage this time for around us$7.50 a gallon (an overstocking problem, or something), so of course, we used it again!
All on all, I think the Sherwin Williams SEAVOYAGE 100 CDP is a pretty good value @ us$105.00 a gallon, especially after talking personally to quite a few private and charter captains in this region about their bottom paint. Of course,
@ us$7.50 a gallon it is a fantastic value, but I doubt seriously that we shall be able to repeat that bit of luck!
Never again will I spend anything like us$300.00 a gallon for a big name marine paint company's products. Another con, like so many in this industry.

#42 ·
I am goin* to bounce this thread as i5 came up again on search of Sherwin Willians paint. Looking for USER reviews.

#45 ·
To add to our experience. The boat ended up sitting in Brunswick GA (an extreme fouling area) for another year without moving or having its bottom clean. During that time, the paint developed a handful of barnacles and some grass around the water line. The paint was 3.5yrs old at this time. The paint ended up being one of the best performing bottom paints we have ever used.

Mark

#46 ·
To add to our experience. The boat ended up sitting in Brunswick GA (an extreme fouling area) for another year without moving or having its bottom clean. During that time, the paint developed a handful of barnacles and some grass around the water line. The paint was 3.5yrs old at this time.
No offense but if this is true, then your boat was not in an “extreme fouling area.”

#59 ·
Sherwin Williams Copper #45 , $103/gal at the local SW store. As much copper as most of the US copper based paint for $200-300/gal paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.