How to rig my jib? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-30-2016 Thread Starter

How to rig my jib?

Hi,

I bought a 1969 O'Day Tempest (23 feet) this spring and after sailing with the mainsail only, I just put up the jib for the first time a few days ago. My previous sailing was limited to tech dinghies with simple rigging at summer camp, so I'm just learning to operate a boat this size. I have a few questions on how it should be rigged and if I need to add hardware to my boat. The jib came with the boat, though the previous owner said he used the Genoa so I don't know if this jib is right for this boat. I've posted a few pictures which will help to understand my questions.

1) The jib has a cable that is 15" long and is attached to the tack of the jib (see pic). I've used it as kind of an extension by attaching it to the shackle and then the jib is 15" higher. I've used it because it was there. A benefit is that the jib is up higher and I can see everything in front of me. The negative is that the jib sheets are very high and so I can't use the blocks and cleats and other hardware on the sides of the boat. The sheets are just too high. I end up wrapping the jib sheet around the opposite rear cleat which I'm thinking isn't smart as I couldn't pop it off in a gust.

My questions are why is this cable on the tack of the jib and should I use it as an extension or does it have another purpose?

2) Hardware - The pic "cleat etc" shows the hardware on the sides of my boat. There is also a block further forward inside the stays that I didn't get a pic of. For the hardware in the pic, I assume I am to use it with the fore sails. The block that is pictured faces forward and is locked down and doesn't pivot in any direction so I assume I am to run a sheet through it and then forward around the winch like device. I don't think I can use this block by itself as it is below the side of the cockpit. I haven't used this hardware yet as the jib sheets are too high for the pulley, though they might work if I stop using the cable as an extension.

Questions:
Is this hardware used with the jib, Genoa and spinnaker or just one or two of them?
Should I have a different setup or add devices to what I have? I often will be sailing singlehanded, and have been reading Andrew Evans book, Singlehanded Sailing, which states that because sailing is done from the windward (high) side, a jib sheet should be run through a turning block to a winch on the opposite side of the boat. Is this the type of setup I should pursue?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions. My boat goes fast and straight with a jib but as it is now, I don't think I have proper control of it.

Alan

Last edited by CT_Tempest; 10-02-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-31-2016
al brazzi

Re: How to rig my jib?

The cable is called a Pendant its just a way of raising a short Jib up so you can see under it. Maybe it is off a larger boat maybe its just cut that way in any event just fly it. The turning block is for a spinnaker sheet or you can run the Jib sheet through it after the track pulley if it leads to the winch better. What you are describing on the high side winch is called cross sheeting its just one way to do it, it works fine but is not mandatory. I will sit low side and work the Jib and the helm at the same time but I have a wheel, with a tiller its usually easier to sit up high brace and pull, that's where the cross sheeting comes in handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)
post #3 of 24 Old 07-31-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Perhaps that pendant is a bit too long for that jib on your O'day 23' although I like the good view it affords you from the stern. A shorter pennant could be made easily from wire or dyneema line. You probably need longer jib sheets if your stopper knot gets pulled to the fair lead on the lazy side. You definitely need longer jib sheets so you can use the fairleads & winches/cleats.
Are the sails in good condition?
Here is the Tempest:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=253
Kinda cute for an O'day but it was an early model of theirs. I like it.
Link above says it is ballasted with iron so keep an eye out for any rusty colored weeping inside and outside the keel area which would indicate water intrusion (which would be bad).
Link above also shows it as end boom sheeted for the main. I'm not sure if your 4th picture shows your main sheet around a port stern horn cleat, or not.
Perhaps a photo of your main sheet/traveler set up will solve my confusion.
Classic plastic boat.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 07-31-2016 at 01:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)

post #4 of 24 Old 07-31-2016

Your boat does NOT have 'long' jib fairlead tracks, the pendent (when correctly 'sized") will help to get the jib sheet to the clew (fairlead) angle correct. This fairlead angle when correct will, when 'luffing up' slowly, make the the entire front leading of the jib 'break' or begin to 'luff', simultaneously. If the top leading edge of the jibsail 'breaks' first, then a longer pendent is needed; if the lower leading edge breaks first, than a shorter pendent is needed. First, see if you 'short' jib tracks can do this; and, if not able with the jib tracks to adjust to this 'even break' along the luff, then try changing the pendent length as above.
;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)
post #5 of 24 Old 07-31-2016

I'm puzzled by your photos, especially when compared to this photo which I found online. It appears to show a genoa track and car along the rail aft of the winch. That track doesn't appear in your photos. I think the short genoa track and block that is forward of the winch is placed too far forward to be used for a large overlapping jib. I think it is intended to be used only for a smaller, "working jib," perhaps 100%. It looks like it might even be sheeted inside the shrouds when used with a small jib. I think the original design might have called for the jibsheet to be routed from the clew of the jib through the cheek block on the rail and then led forward and wrapped around the winch, when using an overlapping sail. I suspect the designer originally put the cheek block on the rail, thinking it was adequate for the job. The genoa track that you see in the photo that I provided might have been either optional equipment that one could order with the boat, or perhaps a later model sold by the company, or possibly an owner-installed modification. In any event, on your boat I'd route the jibsheet for an overlapping sail from the clew, through the cheek block, and then forward to the winch. It looks like that will provide a fairly good angle to lead the jibsheet from the sail to the winch. Try it, and, if it provides a proper fair lead, you'll know it's probably the way the designer intended it to be routed.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 07-31-2016 at 10:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)
post #6 of 24 Old 07-31-2016 Thread Starter

Hi CalebD,
Here are a few more pics, including the traveler, and a link to some videos which will give you a better idea of my rigging. The fourth pic with a sheet around the rear cleat is not of the mainsail sheet but it is of the jib sheet. I've been wrapping it around the opposite rear cleat for lack of any better alternative.

The main problem is that the clew of the jib ends up about 3+ feet above the block which is a fixed horizontally flat and pointing forward so I really can't run the jib sheet through it. I think I need a block that pivots which could route a sheet coming from 3+ feet above to some sort of winch.

Here's a video with the jib up:
https://youtu.be/vcBoz_k9p30

post #7 of 24 Old 07-31-2016

With the aid of Tempest's comments, I think a good remedy for both of you would be to replace the cheek blocks with single blocks with swivels (attached to the deck with pad eyes.) that can adapt to the higher angle of the jibsheet when the jib is raised on a pendant. An even better remedy would be to install a genoa track that would allow you to move the cars forward and aft as needed, but that would be more costly and more work. I think replacing the cheek blocks with blocks with swivels would suffice.

If you don't want to do either, you can just remove the pendant, and use the cheek blocks as originally intended, but that would reduce your field of vision and require you to peek around behind the sail to see if there's any traffic coming.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 07-31-2016 at 10:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)
post #8 of 24 Old 07-31-2016

If you look here: TEMPEST 23 (O'DAY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com and in the photo supplied by Sailormon, it appears that there is a short track with a jib lead on it on deck about even with the aft port of the cabin trunk. The sailboat data drawing shows the working jib with a tack pennant and the sheet going to this position on the deck. If there is not a short track there already it would be simple to install one there, port and starboard, with a sliding jiblead car. This would enable you to sheet a working jib and be able to adjust it properly for different wind strengths. The cheek blocks on the aft quarters are definitely for the spinnaker (see sailboatdata photo). If you use a genoa you will definitely want tracks on the rails alongside the cockpit with hefty turning blocks mounted on the cars. It surprises me not to see them in your photos. A genoa is almost a requirement for the light winds on Long Island Sound. We used to have about a half dozen of these boats at our club. They always sailed with genoas.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)
post #9 of 24 Old 07-31-2016 Thread Starter

Thank you to albrazzi, CalebD, RichH, Sailormon6 and paulk for your comments, suggestions and research. From your comments, it seems an addition of single blocks with swivels or the tracks with turning blocks on cars is necessary to safely and properly use the jib or Genoa.

One question is whether these devices should be installed on the outer edge (rails?) as in pics TempestBlock1 and 1a, or in the flat area outside the cockpit as in TempestBlock2?

Thanks again,
Alan

post #10 of 24 Old 07-31-2016
al brazzi

I would use #2 it gives a track for the two basic sail ranges. On the aft track use a turning block aft which I think you already have so the pull is not straight forward on the track. Two reasons; luffing and moving the car would be VERY difficult with it pulled 180 degrees and its tough on the lock pin when its designed for the load to be UP on the track + or- 30 45 degrees or so.

BTW I like the engine box, pretty nifty.
The Following User Says Thank You to albrazzi For This Useful Post:
CT_Tempest (07-31-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.