SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Installing new gasket in Lewmar portlight

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ICE BEAR 
#1 ·
Attempting to install a new rubber gasket in the frame (not the sealant between the outer frame and cabin top) of a Lewmar portlight. I can get the "arrow head" in on the straights - but the curves are proving elusive.

The instructions that come from Lewmar are pretty basic. Anyone here figure out the technique for getting the gasket inserted around the entire frame?

#3 ·
If it is like a big O-ring, try putting a twist in the ring so as it unwinds it pulls it self into the grove. Use your thumb and forefinger to form the twist.

#4 ·
Thanks for the above replies.

After thinking (perhaps overthinking) the process . . . I mixed some water and dish soap and applied it in and on both sides of the slot using a Q-tip. Also used the end of insulated plier handle to push against the gasket. Smooth operation!

#7 ·
Thanks for the above replies.

After thinking (perhaps overthinking) the process . . . I mixed some water and dish soap and applied it in and on both sides of the slot using a Q-tip. Also used the end of insulated plier handle to push against the gasket. Smooth operation!
I was just going to suggest this.
its how we install door seals. works fine unless adhesives are req. then its just a *****.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.