SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Substitute for furlex grease?

13K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jimmy Cricket 
#1 ·
Greetings all: Does anybody have any experience/recommendations for a substitute to the FURLEX grease for roller furlers? I ran out of the supply that came with the boat, and need to do some overdue maintenance. Having a hard time putting my hands on the OEM FURLEX grease. Asked at my local chandler (Hamilton Marine), and they were unable to source some. There has to be a suitable substitute out there! Any insight appreciated.

#3 ·
Since you're are looking for a wash-out resistant waterproof grease for low-speed bearings, winch grease seems obvious. Despite other comments, I've done lab testing and Lewmar is way out in front. If you want something more local, Green Grease (yes, that is the brand) from Advace Autoparts and others is the best at resisting washout and corrosion (again, based on testing and experience).

Superlube as some strengths, but corrosion protection and low speed bearings and gears are not among them. Superlube has special products for those applications.

No, I'm not sure what Furlex grease is, but I doubt very seriously that it is a custom formulation.

There is something coming up in PS on this and winch grease, don't know when.

#7 ·
Currently in Oxford,Md. having our Pro Furl serviced. Did ask the rigger what they used for grease on the Furlex. He said they have the Furlex grease which is marketed by Seldain. He did caution using other grease that may have a tendency to collect contaminates and possibly cause an early bearing failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.