Inboard Diesel Noob, Impeller question - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter

Inboard Diesel Noob, Impeller question

Picked up my boat a few weeks ago, have it on the driveway as it needs a bit of work. 1971 Pearson Wanderer with a Universal M3-20 3 cyl 18 hp diesel. I've never owned an inboard, never mind a diesel before. My guess is the motor hasn't been run for anywhere between 3 and 6 years. I managed to get it running, so that's a big relief to me.

I'm just surprised at how little an impeller can draw. I had assumed that I would be able to get it draw water out of a bucket. It pretty much didn't at all and needed to be primed. I'm not sure this will be a problem once the boat is in the water. The waterpump is below the water line so it should self prime. Is this normal?

Also, it seemed that it would stop drawing after a few minutes. Now, I'm not sure if I accidentally let it draw some air. But, is that the case? If it sucks air, then it can vapor lock and burn up the impeller?

MH
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-24-2016
Just another Moderator

Re: Inboard Diesel Noob, Impeller question

If the engine hasn't run in years a new impeller would be one of my first things to do - even before attempting to start it. Have you inspected it? If any vanes are missing you need to try to find them because they can end up plugging cooling passes. RWC or FWC?
olson34 and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 22 Old 08-25-2016

As faster said. change the impeller. before launch. the impeller should be changed at least every 2 years .don't run the engine with a dry impeller

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 22 Old 08-25-2016

Ditto the new impeller. Did you clean the sea strainer? Check all clamps and, if the strainer has a gasket, that could be suspect too.

You may have to descale the cooling circuit too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-25-2016 Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have said a bit more. I've had the impeller out and it looked good. It was a little stuck on, but with a clean up, the shaft and impeller are clean and work now. I did a new belt, oil filter and the engine mounted fuel filter (which appeared to be original to the install, the engine was painted at some point and this still had the sticker on it "Change after 50 hrs and then every 100".) I replaced the hose to and from the water pump. I've made sure the cooler flows free. And I've checked the hose from the cooler to the exhaust, all good.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-25-2016

Dock

I dont think some old engines spit as much water as the new ones.

And you wouldnt have had much rpms in the driveway, so old 18hp, at idle, probably doesnt have much through put of water at all.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 Old 08-25-2016
Learning the HARD way...

For context; I have recently been working on two client's boats. One with a Universal M3-20, and the other with an M-25. My boat has an M-25 also.

Your engine shipped with either a Sherwood or Oberdorfer pump. The Oberdorfer M202 is the preferred of the two.

You can get the pump to prime faster by adding some liquid soap or glycerin to the pump chamber. I use Dawn.

If you are not seeing the expected flow rate of water while on the hard, check the following;
  • impeller - look closely at the vanes
  • hoses - ensure that there are no kinks or obstructions
  • hose clamps, and barbs - make sure that clamps are tight, and barb fittings are clean
  • heat exchanger - you should have the 2" model. make sure that water and coolant can flow through unobstructed. Some people boil them out and repaint, I simply replace them (~$500).
  • mixing elbow - verify that water can easily flow through the elbow, and into the waterlift muffler.

If you were in the water, I would add to check the seacock, and through hull fitting. The through hull should NOT have a strainer.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 22 Old 08-25-2016

I'm thinking Mark is probably right. My old Perkins doesn't spit much unless she has some revs on. With the boat out of the water you wouldn't have any head pressure at the seacock, all kinds of air etc. I wouldn't stress too much. You'll be able to tell more when she's in the water, the real test will be to see if she maintains engine temperature under load.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-25-2016

The rubber compound in a flexible impeller will age, harden, start to crack at the root of each vane, and then start shedding vanes. This is a function of age and not just use. It's unwise to trust one over two years old.
Replace it asap.

Note that effects of entropy work almost as well for a new impeller left on a warehouse shelf for many years as for one in use.

For all of our small engines, impellers like that are best viewed as a Preventative Maintenance item.

Loren
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-25-2016

The original poster expressed regarding the pumps ability to self-prime and maintain a prime. Given that concern, the owner should inspect the end plate of the pump when it's off to replace the impeller. Leaks between the end plate and the impeller can cause the loss of prime. Scoring in the end plate can be polished out or the end plate can be flipped.
olson34 and Faster like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.