SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Leaky decks

878 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RichH 
#1 ·
My deck is getting dark streaks from under the glass top layer. Teak was removed and core was replaced. My question is, Can I paint Durabak over deck to seal this staining. Hopefully this could also seal any cracks letting water in that I can not see. Archie Bricker

#5 ·
Sounds like something wasn't done right if you removed the teak (decks?) and replaced core and you are having water intrusion issues. I think you need to find where the leaks are and not just rely on some coating from fixing things.

#6 ·
if the zones of streaks are regularly occurring or in a pattern, I would 'guess' that its a cosmetic 'cure' problem of oxidized hardener used with epoxy resin - in the solid spaces between the newly laid core, etc. On several occasions Ive used 'old' oxidized hardener, usually degraded to a deep red color instead of 'clear' to continue to 'turn' and bleed through the top layers; the mixture becoming a darker color over time.

If gelcoat was sprayed over such epoxy substrate (such as a support 'grid'), and without seeing this, this would be my 'best guess' - old/discolored hardener was used and is turning the surface color of the (epoxy based) gelcoat, too. Just a wild arsed guess.

Since this is a sport fishing boat, the best remedy would be to catch a LOT of fish .... as the blood and other fluids will eventually discolor the deck, anyway.
Sounds like a total re-gelcoating of the deck surface is in your future .... once the discolored substrate has fully cured and stops its 'bleeding' into the surface gelcoat - still just 'a guess'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.