Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for one of the few intelligent replys. It's a full keel 35 footer that does not like to turn to port in either direction. Electric motors can be found that have a long cradle for lack of a beter term. You just flip them up and they go down and lock in place. They can also be run by IR remote saving the extra wiring. I think it would fit nicely along the toe rail with a cover to avoid the afore mentioned comments.
Id just like to know if anyone has done it and how it worked?
Lack of ability? Hey, I have one motor why not two? Im not good enough to do it without any power nor are most so why fight it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Since the resistance of water at zero speed is virtually zero, it takes almost no thrust to actually move a boat of any size. What you can't get with a small motor is acceleration and speed. As soon as the boat starts to move the resistance goes way up. However consider this. Most people would have a VERY hard time pushing with a100 lbs of force against a piling. Now imagine that you could do that, and do it continuously too. I think the reality is that even a small trolling motor will spin a 40 foot boat around a whole lot quicker than you might think! All of the issues come down to how to mount the thing. You only need to mount it sideways, and use forward and reverse if you just want to steer. It doesn't have to be centered either. So if you had a permanent stainless bracket with a wedge slot on one side of the bow, and a plug for the unit on deck, you could reach over the side and drop the motor into the bracket and plug it in when you needed it.
Old 01-11-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Good reply but the threads 2 years old.
Andrew65 likes this.
Old 01-11-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
Good reply but the threads 2 years old.
That may be true, but if he had not revived this thread, I would have never seen it. This was pretty funny stuff.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2013

luhtag is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck bow thruster??

I know it's an old thread but I couldn't resist.

The low buck bow thruster is a great idea. All the ***** responses on this thread are typical. I doubt these folks would have the stuff to speak openly the same way at a bar. The vision of a lying prostitute getting pimp-smacked comes to mind.

I know everyone on this forum is the best boat handler ever created by God. Even God could not dock a boat better. In fact I'm sure all of you could dock an 80 footer under sail in a hurricane from the v-berth using nothing but your telekinetic powers while you make love to one of your super model concubines.

The idea of using a trolling motor as an occasional bow thruster has a lot of merit. These motors can produce a 100 pounds of thrust which is plenty to assist the bow of any 50 footer. I've helped dock an 80 footer using a dinghy with a 20 lb. thrust Minn Kota and it did just fine. A little slow but it was better than nothing. So the whole not strong enough argument is simply incorrect. And I would never let some dock kid or marina guy push on my boat with a skiff.

My rag boat is 50 feet and has a 65 hp auxiliary. Go ahead with the snippy comments, it is what it is. Reliable and very efficient. But it's not a Titan when maneuvering in confined quarters with a running current and high winds in an unfamiliar marina. A quick attach trolling motor on the bow would make things much more relaxed. All it would have to do is hold the bow. Not spin the boat.

Now before any of you experts tell me how easily it would be for you to dock your boat in a class 3 rapid during a tornado, let me say that I've never had an incident docking my boat. With the pulpit, anchors, and davits, I'm looking at about 57ft overall. It can obviously be done, but what harm is there in having an effective and cheap alternative to cutting a huge hole in your boat? Much of my sailing is 600 plus miles offshore. The last thing anyone needs is another hole in their hull especially at the cost of $9000 grand or more. I can afford it, but I have my principles. And my last concern is impressing the meathead in the slip next to me. I've got nothing to prove.

Over the years I've had to sail some boats in and out of marinas. I've come in and backed my boat into a slip entirely under sail, single handed. I've raced competitively since I was 7. I hold an unlimited Masters license, unlimited towing license, first class pilotage, every unlicensed deck endorsement the federal government has, and I've been Captain of a 580 foot petroleum tanker for over 15 years. I've literally spent more of my life on water than on land and I've got millions of miles under the keel, not thousands. Oh yeah, I've also docked a boat in a hurricane, multiple times.

Point being, who cares about your silly skills. The Op was asking a simple question about his idea. I stumbled upon this post because I was looking for a similar solution. For around a thousand bucks, I can quickly attach a trolling motor near the bow to help back into a foreign slip. What could be more relaxing. I'd rather keep a hand free for my beer or my super model's rear than have to back and fill like a maniac. Done that.

The Kota wouldn't have to extend off the stem as an eye sore. It could simply be attached farther aft, along side, as long as the thrust was deeper than the hull. A remote foot pedal from the cockpit would suffice as a control, and when your boat is all fast, disconnect the whole thing and chuck it in a locker. Easy money. The setup need not be an ugly behemoth. If the paint matched the hull it'd hardly be noticeable.

If I can't find a suitable option for this idea then I'll be talking to an engineer. I bet West Marine would be interested in my marketing ideas.
Old 07-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Do you always walk in with guns blazing? I've seen some angry people in my life and have seen many thousands of "opening" letters in places like this forum Yours is pretty awful.

BTW, Jeanneau (and others) already have your system out there for those that can afford it. Usually that is people who own 50ft boats.

So even my idea of a a 6 nozzle joy stick system with a jet pump is moot.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

yes, if i had a 50+ boat I could afford to take lessons from someone without a chip on his shoulder.

My boat is for sale.
Old 07-21-2013

luhtag is on a distinguished road

That looks like a lot of fun but it's still puts unecessary holes in the hull.

There has to be an easy solution. I like the jet idea, either air or water. It just seems in this day and age of high technology there'd ne a quick and inexpensive solution for a makeshift bow thruster.

I once saw a guy using a large RC tugboat to pull himself around the marina in a dinghy. Maybe he was on to something.
Old 07-22-2013

irmedic is on a distinguished road

We had a Sirius 28 in harbour with a very neat bow thruster. The guy was a machinist, and setup a v shaped rail that fixed to the bow on two sides. He then led a line aft to raise and lower it in the water when needed. He also had it on a remote control to move him with ease. For a nearly 80 year old sailor it kept him on the water for a few more years.

Old 07-22-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

IRMedic, it would be neat to see. Do you have any pictures?
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.