SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bay Area boatyard experiences wanted

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  KeelHaulin 
#1 ·
Hi, all -

Having just moved our boat to San Francisco Bay, we are seeking picks and pans for local boatyards. Since they are close, I am particularly curious about Bay Marine and KKMI in Richmond, but all other recommendations and warnings are welcome.

thanks!

Ken

#4 ·
Fstbttms said:
KKMI is a world class yard, great work and facilities. It ain't cheap tho'.
Well, cheap and bay area boat yard don't really go together. It would be nice to know how much of a difference in price for same services from various yards. Some yards just mess things up, what is the cost for that. I know of some bad things that have happened at Nelsons. I have had work done at Svendsens and have been very impressed, but again not cheap. How much more? I don't know. How well does the yard do of prepping and putting on bottom paint? Do they get the bottom of the keel properly? What cost for quality?

#5 ·
Bay Marine is $75/hr for prep, and KKMI is $82. Not a big difference, and for damn sure, neither cheap! It's been my experience that sometimes less pretentious yards (especiially in Southern California!) actually give better service, and I am trying to find one of those...

#6 ·
In my experience yard hourly charges are useless in comparing final costs. Svendsens charged me 350/gal for bottom paint and KKMI was advertising the same paint for 250. You also don't know how fast their workers are or how many supervisor hours are charged. Over the years I have found the lowest cost jobs occur during the busiest season, simply because they are working faster and are more efficient, resulting in lower total hours.

#7 ·
khbritten said:
Bay Marine is $75/hr for prep, and KKMI is $82. Not a big difference, and for damn sure, neither cheap! It's been my experience that sometimes less pretentious yards (especiially in Southern California!) actually give better service, and I am trying to find one of those...
Give the Berkeley Marine Center a call. Small yard, low key and I'm certain considerably cheaper than KKMI (although now that I look at their web site, I'm not so sure ;) ):

http://www.berkeleymarine.com/

#8 ·
We just brought our boat back from KKMI. They did a great job, although it was expensive. Right now they have a free haul out when they do your bottom paint. We got out of there under $1400, that included new zincs and some basic blister repair. Also, everyone there is happy, so they treat their workers well. Even the guys grinding the blisters would stop and talk to me, taking the time to explain stuff and checking to make sure there was no dust in the cabin. I would stay away from Nelson. I have heard bad things, and every time I have wandered in there, I get a bad feeling. Svendsens gets good reviews and they have everything you could ever want right there. Its an amazing compound.
khbritton - did I see you out on the Bay yesterday (monday) by Angel Island?

#10 ·
Well, my girlfriend says its shrinking conversely to my age....but seriously, shes 34'. They used Trinidad. Not much wind yesterday. We were bringing her back from the yard and I saw a boat like yours motor past.

#12 ·
You should do some calling around, some yards are more pricey than others. Ask about per-gallon prices on paint; and try to get an estimate for your bottom paint/labor prior to hauling. It also depends on if you are planning on doing some of the work yourself or if you are going full-service. I believe Bay Marine is more DIY'er friendly than KKMI; but not sure. Looking at KKMI's online fee schedule; you pay more for the per-day if you don't hire them for a minimum # of work hours per week. I did my haul-out work in Napa; but that is also because it was where I purchased the boat. They have reasonable prices, allow DIY on everything, knowledgable helpful staff; but travel to Napa is arduous if you are doing lots of work. If you do take your boat to Napa be sure and have a chart of the river and follow it closely; the channel is narrow in several places. If you plan on having the boat out for a few months to dry out the hull; Napa has a huge dry-storage yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.