Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-29-2000

mychaos is on a distinguished road
autopilots

I am trying to decide what autopilot to put on my J/35. It needs to be dependable under power or sail, in light or medium (20 kts +)weather. Boat has a tiller, and there are basically two types available. Cockpit type that attaches directly to the tiller when used, taken off when not used. The other type is a below deck system and sounds better, but is 5x more expensive.
Does anyone have any experience using autopilots a lot in a similar application? Recommendations? I looking at an Autohelm 6000 vs. a B&G Pilot system. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2008

voodooacrobat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to voodooacrobat
I borrowed a cockpit-type Autohelm last year from a friend and I went out and bought one of my own before I begain sailing this season. I have the ST1000+ by Raymarine and think it was the best $400 I've spent in a long, long time. I don't know the weight of your boat, but this model is meant to handle boats up to 6,600 lbs.

Installation took about an hour and it works great. You become a passenger at the push of a button. I singlehand a lot, and it really is great from a safety and comfort standpoint. I used to tie off the helm and scamper to the foredeck to tend my hank-on headsails before the wind shifted. Now I can hang out on the foredeck, cook a meal, read charts, etc. I just have to trim the sails and check for traffic.

It does take up a bit of room in the cockpit, but that's really the only disadvantage. For the money, you can't beat it.
Old 06-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Voodoo-

You do realize that you're replying to a post that is almost EIGHT YEARS OLD, right?

BTW, if you do have a tiller pilot, I would highly recommend making a splash cover for the unit. One of the biggest causes of failure is due to water intrusion and a splash cover seems to help prevent the water intrusion related failures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-23-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I've used a cockpit-type Navico TP1800 on my Cal 9.2 for over 10 years. Simple to use, works great, and has been very reliable. I normally use it when cruising when winds are light or when motoring, but have used occasionally in strong gusty winds.

Don't pay too much attention to the unit boat displacement ratings. Far more important is the amount of weather helm. My Cal balances very nicely and that greatly helps the unit work well. It would struggle with a boat that wasn't so well balanced.
Old 06-23-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Authelm doesn't exist anymore ! 6000 has long discontinued ! Mychaos sold boat and now he's a competent chicken farmer.
Old 06-23-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Keep it up, Negrini, and we're going to have to admit you to the AFOC ranks.
Old 06-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sway...I think we have a second to the nomination. Negrini is definitely AFOC material and we need another Portugese speaking member AND I believe our first South American member. This will give us AFOC's on 4 continents!!
BTW...I think we also have another corollary to Sailnet Denial here.
May we call it the "Negrini Effect"

Negrini Effect... "AFTER being informed that a post is 8 years old and the original poster now is taking the big dirt nap... salient advice is still provided in the expectation that the OP may rise from the dead and take said advice"

Perhaps a new thread is needed to document sailnet denial AND the two corollaries we presently have as well as future additions.
Old 06-23-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Cam,
It couldn't be any worse than Dog's keys to posting on sailnet. And all of the fun would be in the copious examples of denial, Negrini effect, and Sapper syndrome. If we can round this out with a few more symptoms I am confident that federal funding will be an inevitability. Besides, funding us makes about as much sense as the mohair subsidy or some of those bridges they're building. (just kidding there, Dog!)
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Grrr....bark, Bark, Bark....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2008

voodooacrobat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to voodooacrobat
Damn. I'm still snickering to myself about replying to this ancient post. You'd think I was lonely for conversation, but mostly it's enthusiasm for my new Autohelm. I want everyone - even the dead guy - to know how cool it is! I love playing with new toys!

The splash cover is a good idea, by the way. Thanks.