Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-03-2006

sail268 is on a distinguished road
Antifouling for prop and shaft?

Any input on painting the shaft strut? I'm not painting the shaft or prop.

Last edited by sail268; 04-02-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2006

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
read on a can of AP60 that lanolin prevents barnacle from growing on prop and shaft. no harm trying, since I have a can of MP90 (from same maker as AP60) handy so I just sprayed a dose of MP90 (lub with lanolin) on rpop & shaft just before launch. will see in couple of weeks if it works.
Old 12-03-2006

I-33 is on a distinguished road
Antifouling paint on metals?

I have been told that the prop should not be painted with anti-fouling. The reasoning is that since anti-fouling paint contains copper, you would not want that on the bronze prop because of dissimilar metals corosion. Someone with more knowledge please confirm or deny this, please.
Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lanolin is not a bad idea... and won't damage the environment either... I would use straight anhydrous lanolin or lanocote, rather than anything that is designed to be a lubricant. You also might want to check out proposing to paint prop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I've used this stuff for four seasons and find it is as effective as the bottom paint on the bottom is.

http://www.pyiinc.com/index.php?sect...=mppaint&sn=10
Old 12-03-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I've coated my prop and shaft with Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier, by Petit, for the past two years, and it has worked well on the Chesapeake Bay. WM carries it. Don't paint the shaft under the shaft zinc anode, and don't paint the anode.
Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd like to repeat sailormon6 regarding:

Don't paint the shaft under the zinc or the zinc itself... it won't work properly if you do.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sailormon6,

can it be used on a saildrive? On the metal part?
Old 12-03-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Giulietta,

I don't know for sure if it can be used on a sail drive. On the can's label it says, "Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier - Protects Underwater Metals." On the back it says it contains 93% pure zinc. It says "This product is for use only on bare metals, such as steel, stainless steel, cast iron, copper, bronze, galvanized iron and lead." If in doubt, I'd suggest you email Petit at their website.

It sounds like it works just like the zinc anode on your prop shaft. If you spray it on the shaft, it slowly erodes. A barnacle can't attach itself to it, because the thin layer of zinc erodes out from under it.
Old 12-03-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
sailormon6

Thank you, sir.

I will contact them, I have painted the (I think you call it column??) column with same paint as the bottom, but somehow.....the paint just "washes" off.. And not because I does not adhere, it washes from the outside in. hope you understand me, this is hard.

There are no barnacles but there is no bottom paint either after 3 months. Just the original paint from yanmar, and once the bottom paint washes away, it gets barnacles (heheh I like this word in English).

Please if you find a good paint for the saildrive, in the US will you let me know?

Thank you