Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-03-2006

swains is on a distinguished road
Question Owners Manual for Tamaya Sextant M#631

I've recently acquired a Tamaya Sextant Model#631. Made in 1975.
I would like to find a copy of the owner's manual if at all possible. Does anyone have one I could photocopy or have a lead to suggest for obtaining one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
There are email lists for traditional navigation, I'd suggest joining a few and putting your request on them. Another owner probably would run the opies off for you for free.

Celestaire.com might be able to put you in touch with Tamaya, they carry their sextants. Or, they might be able to get you a spare booklet, they're probably the leading sextant nav company in the US, and nice folks.
Old 12-03-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Or try them directly here:
http://www.tamaya-technics.com/e_site/ms833_e.html
Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd contact Celestaire or Tamaya and see if they can send you a copy. If you contact Tamaya, they may have it available on-line as a downloadable PDF file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
I too have a Tamaya sextant with no manual. I didn't find one on the website Cam gave. But I CAN recommend "The Sextant Handbook" by Bruce Bauer.

Old 12-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Sextant Handbook is an excellent resource for anyone who uses a sextant.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I bought my Tamaya in 1977 and I don't remember it coming with a manual. I think it's sort of like a Ferrari owners manual-they don't tell you how to operate the transmission. If I'm reading between the lines correctly you probably want to adjust the sextant. Chapter 15 of the 1984 Bowditch tells you all you need to know on that. Newer edition is out. The newer eds have moved some things around and the info you want may be in Vol. 2 now. Some talk that the gov. was getting out of publishing it-but I just saw a new version of volume 2 at west marine two weeks ago. Probably cheaper on Amazon. Vol. 2 is what you want, if it has sextant adjustment in it now, for the tables and piloting info-it's the vol. you want on your boat. Me, I'd buy both volumes-there's a ton of authoritative info in them that you won't find elsewhere. I'm not familiar with the book listed above, it may have just what you need, I'm just a strong believer that every sailor who desires to go over the horizon should know their way around Bowditch.
Old 12-05-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
BTW, fine instrument-never regretted not spending the extra money on the Plath.

Last edited by sailaway21; 12-06-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sailaway, I'd offer to email you a PDF copy of Bowditch, but at 40MB it is more than most folks can take in their email. Glad to FTP it if you can take that though.

USNO has (had??) Bowditch available online if you didn't mind doing separate chapters unlinked. And some erratta in page numbering and chapter numbers (there was a dupe) unless they've finally caught up to that.
Old 12-05-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
You can get Bowditch chapter by chapter here

or all in one 35 Mb zipped file here: http://www.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...S/APN/pub9.zip