SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Shrink Wrap or Custom Cover? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/26502-shrink-wrap-custom-cover.html)

tomgee 12-05-2006 10:35 AM

Shrink Wrap or Custom Cover?

Hi,

This is my first season as a sailboat owner (1980 Sabre 28). I'd appreciate any comments on going with shrink wrap versus getting a custom cover made. From cursory research it appears a custom cover would be about 5 times more expensive than shrink wrap.

Thanks!

gunkholemarine 12-05-2006 10:53 AM

Cover choice

As a dealer, I always use shrink wrap because I never expect to keep the boat very long. Also, I don't have to do it myself.

For boats I own personally, I choose a custom cover, especially if I plan on keeping the boat for long enough to recover the cost of the cover.

Kevin
gunkholemarine.com

sailingdog 12-05-2006 12:18 PM

If you're going to keep the boat more than five years, get the cover...since it will probably last more than five years, and will pay for itself in that time.

paulk 12-05-2006 06:51 PM

Is the cost of shrink-wrapping your boat each year going to go up or down? What happens when they add a $200 recycling fee, on top of that? The canvas covers we use for our boat have lasted ten years. Pay once, do it right and be done with it!

mike dryver 12-05-2006 07:07 PM

the first yr we had our boat it was shrink wrapped by the prev. owner. even with vents the boat was soaked all the time. every week i had to open the door for a day at least to alev. the prob. last winter i put on h/d silver poly tarps overlapped at the mast by 6'. had no prob what so ever with condensation at all. the reason was because i did not seal the overlap, and air could get under the tarp along the hull and pulpit. the only water that came in was around the mast and the stays. there really is no good way of sealing those areas unless you duck tape the hell out of those areas and then you have clean off the residue in the spring.

CapnHand 12-05-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike dryver
the only water that came in was around the mast and the stays. there really is no good way of sealing those areas unless you duck tape the hell out of those areas and then you have clean off the residue in the spring.

Don't you pull the stick when you haul out?

sailaway21 12-06-2006 01:27 AM

Check this site out for a better/cheaper solution. With proper rigging you can even work on your boat in the winter.
www.bosunsupplies.com/Cover.cfm

Goodnewsboy 12-06-2006 09:30 PM

I like the custom cover. Mine is being made for about 3x the price of one shrinkwrapping. It is strong enough to shed a heavy snow load, ventilates the boat, gives me access during winter, and has a projected life of 10 years.

Tarps can be OK if you spend enough time building a secure frame, and if you can fasten them securely enough. I just took the easier route.