Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-05-2006

ModMMax is on a distinguished road
Mesh around bow rail

I was looking at pics of one of the boats on this site and noticed a mesh or net that had been installed around the rail of the boat. Is this netting material available in a variaty of widths? How does it install? Would it be effective is helping a toddler to stay on board? What does it cost and where should I look for it in Florida? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2006

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The mesh you are refering to is know as safety neting. It can be found at most marine suppliers. It does come in various widths and lenghts. Also it comes in diffrent weights. I have seen very light weight stuff out there for sale witch I would avoid. We (wife and I) have been sailing with our son who is now 10 from the time before he could walk. I would not own a boat with out safety netting on the lifelines, if I had kids onboard. But safety netting is no reason not have kids in lifejackets and tethered to the boat when on deck. In fact I like it even for myself. Grumpy old men can fall though lifelines. It is easy enough to put on. Just lace to the rails and/or lifelines with small line. I hope this helps
Old 12-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, yes, and it depends... the netting material is available in both nylon, polypropylene or polyester. The nylon is probably the best choice over all.
The price is affected by the mesh size, the knotting method used to tie it, the color and material chosen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-05-2006

Thanks guys. This netting may look out of place on a motor boat but I'm going to do it anyway.
Old 12-05-2006

BryanLee is on a distinguished road
I sail a small 21' boat with two children. I put netting on the lifelines when I got the boat and now would not own a boat without it. (And yes, we still use lifejackets and tethers)

I got mine from www.marisafe.com, seemed reasonably priced. I am fairly happy with the netting, however I do not care for the comstruction, there are not real knots in the netting, it is more just woven or something, I do not know exactly how to describe it. It is holding up ok, but where the lifelines open to get onand off the boat I used some little carabiner type clips to close th eeadge of the netting and the joints are starting to come apart there. Everywhere else the netting is holding up OK. We only plan on having the boat for a few years and where woking on a very limited budget so this netting is working out fine for us, but if you want somehting that will last for a long time I would look for something a bit heavier with real knots in the netting. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I was suprised at how many people on the docks had not seen netting like that, and how many people stopped to ask questions about it and compliment it.

After sailing for two summers on a boat with netting, My wife and I chartered a boat in the San Jauns for a week for our tenth anniversary which did not have netting. I kept trying to set things (Boat hook, coffee cup, jacket, etc. ) on the side decks and beside the cockpit and almost lost them overboard! I just got so used to being able to toss things beside the cockpit without worring about it that it was annoying to have to look around for a secure place to put things. I think I would have netting on any boat I owned just for tha reason!
Bryan
Old 12-06-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
I am also not sure I trust the netting, so I used a 3/16" line, tied a bowline at one end through the toe rail, then angled up to the lifeline, knotted there (round turn/half hitch) and back on an angle to the toe rail, all the way from the pulpit back as far as the first stantion. This works equally well with single or double lifelines, and you can customize as you wish. But that way, I know the strength of the line, can trust the knots, and have a good safety factor if I lose my balance on the bow to hold me on board--doesn't replace a tether, but still useful.
Frank.
Old 12-06-2006
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ive got 80' of a nylon netting that west marine sells, but havent put it on yet since my lifelines need to be redone. Im thinking of installing this when i do new lifelines and running them trough the netting. Ive got a 2yo and another on the way and were full time liveaboards so this is a needed thing.
Old 12-06-2006

I'm convinced. Netting it is. Can't imagine having to deal with a kid going overboard. Seems like a simple solution and I intend to do install it. We have a week on the boat before our grandchild arrives so I should have time to find and install something that will do the job. Thanks to those who responded.
Alvin