Conversion from In-Mast furling to Lazy-Jacks system possible? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-07-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeheel999
No...bought the boat with in-mast and have always sailed boats with battened mains. For me it's totally a performance thing despite the extra hassle. I sailed a similar boat recently with a new lazy-jack system and fully-battened main and it performed so much better....
That's the thing though, you aren't going to get that same kind of performance with the furling mast converted. Weight aloft matters, and you'll be carrying a bunch of it that the other boat wasn't.

Another question regarding your reasons.....have you sailed the new boat much yet? Enough to really know what it will do?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2006

DeepFrz is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you talked to the company that built your mast or your boat? Also you might want to consult with a good marine architect. I know nothing of in mast furling systems but the company that built the mast does, and they may be able to offer you an alternative to replacement.

hth, Deep
Old 12-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Free,

I do not have your boat... but: My boat has in-mast. Just to port of that is another "standard" track running up the stick. Do you have an extra track? If so, all you have to do is run another main halyard... if you do not already have one.

Check and see.

- CD
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
CD, that is very curious. You have the track and furler main??

That is cool, can you please take a photo and send me?? Never seen those.

Just curiosity.
Old 12-07-2006

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
The Catalina 400 Mk2s and some 42s with furling mains have that exact spar (with the separate track). Probaly lots more.
Since you'll have to unstep the mast for re-rigging the track and new sail hardware, you could simply remove the foil and hardware to minimize weight aloft and use your existing mast
Old 12-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
http://www.charleston-spar.com/us/ma...&f=2,78,,172,a

There is a link to Chaleston Spar, they show cross sections on the left. You can see the main section where the roller comes out, then on the left the secondary track.
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ahh

That is weird.

That site is SPARCRAFT, the makers of my mast!!! from France.

They are called Charleston Spar in the USA. Small world!!
Old 12-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

I would like to make a correction on my precious statement: You "Can" use the track next to the furler, but it is really intended for a storm sail/trysail versus the constant wear/tear of a full main.

THis is per Charleston Spar.

- CD
Old 03-05-2009

Myblueheaven is on a distinguished road
sparcraft and charleston...

I have a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 51 with a French built in mast furling Sparcraft mast. I was told that sparcraft went out of business and Charleston Spar bought a lot of Sparcrafts inventory. i bought from Charleston spar a much needed furling base that connects the furling shaft/extrusions to the furler below it as mine was chewed up. i forget if they are in north or South Carolina...i think south for the city of "Charleston???? Very helpful and fast shipping and super reasonable pricing. They even sent me , upon request, original text/catalog pages of all the parts for Sparcraft mast and boom fittings etc. if your boat is french, and on the older side...mine is a 91) and you need parts...try them first.
Old 03-05-2009

Sparcraft OWNS Charleston Spars...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.