Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-07-2006
Banned

capecodphyllis is an unknown quantity at this point
Stainless or Galvanized?

Today I saw a beautiful, shiny, brand-spanking-new, stainless anchor (Manson?) hanging from a boat in the harbor.

Are there benefits to using a stainless chain and anchor (over galvanized) that I am unaware of?

Please fill me in, if you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Shows how rich you are.

Other than that, also looks good, other than that.....none.

Ask Camaraderie to explain about anaerobic corrosion where he goes or lives.
Old 12-07-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
Not entirely true.

Stainless steel has much better corrosion resistance.
It will last longer and look better much longer.
Still you never get your money back in extra time.

As stated it is mostly about eye appeal.
A shiney stainless anchor looks better than a grey galvanized one and much better than a rusty one.

Depending on the size of the anchor they don't cost that much more.
Maybe a couple hundred more for an anchor for a 30 fotter is you shop around.
Old 12-07-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ahhhh now you've done it....

you just wait right there... Camaraderie will tell you about the corrosion... you just wait there. Don't move...

And when I bought my anchor, the difference between mine and a "good-looking-shiny-make-you-cry-when- you-can't-get-it-back-on-the-boat-or else-dive-to-get-it-but-otherwise-does-the-same-job-on-a-boat-SS-achor" was almost 400 Euros ($500).

But wait for Cam. he will tell you that they are not good in certain beds where there is no oxygen, and CAM!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Giulietta and all,

THat is why I only use a solid gold anchor. It looks like its galvanized on the outside, but I was guaranteed (for what I paid for it) that is was sold gold on the inside.

And just to set the record straight, Giulietta, you cry when you lose ANY anchor... especially when it is attached to 250 feet of chain and you don't have a set of bolt cutters!!!
Old 12-07-2006

CD,

You're right on the crying part, any anchor indeed.... as for the Gold, well...I didn't understand the first time.... but I got it. From now on, you're "Goldanchor" to me.
Old 12-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, stainless steel anchors and chains are great for people who don't expect to use them much. If you're a long-term cruiser, and spend any significant time on the hook, a stainless anchor or rode will rust faster than a galvanized one, since stainless doesn't do well if it is deprived of a constant source of oxygen. Also, if the stainless is the cheaper, but stronger 304 grade, it is subject to chloride stress cracking, and can fail catastrophically, with little warning.

Personally, I'd avoid stainless chain and anchors. They're more expensive and less useful than their galvanized steel counterparts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well here I am! Red Corvette is right!! On your bow pulpit at the marina, a stainless steel anchor is MUCH more corrosion resistant than galvanized.
Unfortunately, anchors are made to be used IN the water and IN the water in a nice warm muddy bottom there is no oxygen and THERE crevice corrosion begins to set in quickly in stainless steel and the anchor or shackle or chain will rapidly lose strength and let go just when you need it most. If you just use the anchor for weekending and then head back to the marina for a washdown there is no problem if you want to spend the extra bucks for a shiny anchor but if you live aboard and anchor out consistently, you don't want a stainless anchor/swivel/chain. Even worse would be a stainless anchor connected to a galvanized chain which would then add Galvanic corrosion to the mix!
Old 12-07-2006

Red,

see, I told you, I told you....

Besides, fish don't need shinny things down there.....
Old 12-07-2006

zfactor is on a distinguished road
I'd guess that the roughness of the galvanizing on a CQR anchor allows it to have a holding power that is 10% more than an equivalent shiny stainless steel anchor. Just a guess...wonder if any tests have been done.