Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2006

Baublesailor is on a distinguished road
Nick,

Visit Yachtworld.com. You'll find many, many boats in the style and price range you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
My boat had crazed fiberglass and I got the same kind of estimate (10,000 dollars) for a profesional paint job. The story was that the high labor was to grind down past the gelcoat. I was told that if this was not done that the crazing would come back. $500.00 worth of interlux primer and 2 part paint, the crazing is gone. No it does not look as good as the 10k job but I have 9500 dollars in my pocket 21/2 years later. No, the crazing did not come back. If it does I will lightly sand and put another coat on. If you are careful, you can get pretty close to a sprayed on look.
pigslo
Old 12-12-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
I must vote with Pigslo. Don't believe it until you see it for yourself. A lot of the "diagnostics" that go on in boat yards are suspect. Gelcoat cracking is quite often just cosmetic, and timely, inexpensive repairs will prevent it from becoming the serious crack in the underlying glass lamination that can admit water to the deck core. Furthermore, if you do think you have wet core, about 1 minute with a drill (from below if possible) will prove or disprove the suspicion.

BTW, Don Casey has written a nice little book that gives you all you really need to know about fiberglass deck (and hull) repairs

Bottom line, don't believe everything you are told and do keep up with the little things that can keep your deck watertight, such as gelcoat repair and periodically re-bedding your hardware.
Old 12-13-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Kudos to the pig and the dog. Those are the kind of down to earth comments one should expect on sailnet. If the solution to every problem was to either sell it or spend megabucks there'd be no need for this site. Keep 'em comin'.
Old 12-13-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Be careful when buying your next boat not to get one that has a hastily repaired delam issue

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old 12-13-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I like pigslo's math but he may have lucked out. A professional yard can't rely on luck. Gelcoat may craze after 20 years just because it was sprayed on too thick and mixed a little wrong, and it is more brittle than the FRP under it. After enough years, it crazes. If you paint over that, and it hasn't STOPPED crazing....Well, if you saved $9500 you won't be too upset. But if you spent $10k at the yard, you're gonna go back for blood, and they're not going to be very happy to give it.
Sometimes both "answers" are right, even when they conflict.

'course, if it crazes you could just paint it Gaitor Green and put two big eyes up at the bow.
Old 12-13-2006

I rather doubt that Pigslo lucked out. I think he knew an excessive repair proposal when he saw it. He wasn't buying a pig-in-a-poke, so to speak.
Old 12-13-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Well, he's got new, flexible, stretchy "paint" on top of the old stuff. It is possible the old gelcoat is still crazing, hidden by the new top coat. Or, that the stresses were all worked out before he painted over them. Unless he had a scientific basis for concluding the crazing was all done ("Haven't had a new one in five years" would do), so far he's been lucky.

I think it was Napolean who said he'd rather have a lucky general than a smart one, I'm not putting down luck. But a boatyard can't gamble that way if they want to stay in business. An owner can.
Old 12-13-2006

Far be it from me to put down boatyards. I'm the present beneficiary of a very good one.

All that I am saying is that anyone who asks an owner of an older sailboat to spend anything like $10K on a repair owes some proof (scientific, if necessary) that the repair is necessary and prudent.

BTW, which Interlux 2 part paint is flexible and stretchy?
Old 12-13-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Since the original poster has hijacked (or at least switched) the thread to ask about 35' boats that are solid enough to take on the ocean, but still manageable singlehanded, I'll chime in here. Practical Sailor seems to think highly of the J/35 as one of the few production boats that they would consider sailing transatlantic. They've also been raced tranatlantic singlehanded. Right on target pricewise, and fun boats to sail from what I hear. Of course there may de deck delamination issues...