Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
T

SD says its a bimini, not dodger!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
But what does the guy that ownes the boat say?
Old 12-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giulietta-

The problems I see with the mainsheet running directly from the forward boom bail block to the foot block are:

1) the load on the mastbase block increases dramatically;
2) the mainsheet is now an obstacle that will sweep the area under the boom;
3) the mainsheet may cause problems with the hatch that is present,

T34C-

If the boat requires the use of a mainsheet winch, you can probably increase the purchase of the mainsheet by changing the blocks on the boom and traveler, and possibly even eliminate the need for a mainsheet winch.

However, if the increased leverage won't be sufficient, then you will have to run the mainsheet forward to the mastbase block, probably by moving the existing to just aft of the boom vang attachment, so that the main sheet parallels the boom vang but leads fair to the mastbase block.

This should avoid most of the problems associated with just running it from the existing mid-boom sheave to the mastbase block, but the loading on the mast base block will be significantly higher.

My reasoning that the tubing you see is for a bimini is that it is angled down and aft in the photo...which means it is attached somewhere in the cockpit, which is very unlikely for a dodger, and very typical for a bimini. The bimini frame on my boat, when lowered forward, ends up in almost the exact same position relative to the sliding hatch and companionway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-09-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
SD-

Agreed. It looks from the picture that there is an unused bail just aft of the vang that could have another block in-line then lead to the mast base block without creating any more significant obstruction that the vang currently does. The blocks in the pic. look to be Garhauer 40 or 50 series blocks with a safe working load of 2,800 and 3,000 lbs. respectivly. They should be up to the job.
Old 12-09-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I agree with T34C that a block on that unused bail just aft of the vang will allow the mainsheet to be routed to the turning block at the base of the mast without creating much more of an obstruction than the vang already represents. That is exactly what i have done on my P-33-2 and it works great. (I have a soft vang for now but probably will buy a Garhauer rigid vang this winter. Denr is ragging on me too hard about that soft vang!)

Alternatively, SD's suggestion of changing out the mainsheet treatment at the traveler so that it is all contained there has merit as well. I did that on my previous boat with great success. But that depends on whether there's a dodger in the way of getting to the car on the traveler. The advantage of this option is that it cuts down on friction quite a bit, and you also can increase the leverage if needed to control the main in almost any conditions.

Either option should work.

Yes, nice Garhauer blocks -- I think the same ones I now have on my P-33-2.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-10-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Mitchell,

If the friction and chafing are not significant problems, I'd leave the system alone.

If you eliminate the block at the gooseneck, you end up with the same sheet geometry as has worked fine on my CS 36T. You can continue to use the mainheet winch on your cabintop, and no changes will interferr with your dodger (the picture shows a dodger frame - arn't those Garhauers sweet...) As you know you can't switch to a cam on the mainsheet block as you can't reach that block when the dodger is installed and up, plus you'd loose the sheet winch...With this new geometry the sheet will tend to hang up on the hatch if it is opened more than a few inches...

Last edited by sailingfool; 12-10-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2006
S/V Perwinkle

lmitchell is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the help folks.

I think i'll try moving the sheet to a block just aft of the vang, then run down parallel to the vang and on ...

Will the load on the mast base block be too high?

Much thanks for all the input.

P.S., The pic is actually not my boat. Mine is a Pearson 39 MKII with a very similar setup. I do have a dodger.