SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/forums.php)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mainsheet rubbing vang... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/26596-mainsheet-rubbing-vang.html)

lmitchell 12-08-2006 09:48 AM

Mainsheet rubbing vang...

1 Attachment(s)
The mainsheet is rubbing on the rigid vang. Should this be a concern? Should I reroute the mainsheet to run down parallel to the vang rig? See pic:

captlar 12-08-2006 04:00 PM

That will certainly shorten the life of the sheet. I would swap out those two blocks to something more compact, and possibly add a fairlead near the vang trying to raise the sheet up closer to the boom.

Giulietta 12-08-2006 04:06 PM

Put a block where it rubs on the vang. simple and cheap.

T34C 12-08-2006 05:30 PM

It looks like you have an additional boom bail just aft of the vang. If so you could move the block at the goose neck back to that bail. Then the sheet would follow the same angle as the vang and not chaffe.

sailingdog 12-09-2006 03:00 PM

Or change out the lower traveler block with one that has a cam cleat and another sheave, and use that instead of running it forward and then back. This will give you slightly more purchase, less friction and allow you to use a shorter mainsheet...which will lower your rigging costs slightly.

sailaway21 12-09-2006 03:49 PM

I think the Dog has the best idea for you. You actually gain in your purchase and you lose all of the friction losses that your rig has now, and your control line ends up back in the cockpit where you wanted it. Win/win.

Giulietta 12-09-2006 03:54 PM

Sail, SD,

I see in the photo a dodger frame. Am I wrong? that is why he has the main sheet coming to the front and then back.

I agree with SD and innitialy was going to say the same, as it was what I had on my previous boat (but the traveller was in the cockpit, not above the cabin). When I saw the frame, I think just a simple footside block attached to the to the top pin of the boom jack will do the trick.

But if is ok with the going forward for the sheet, than SD wins.

sailingdog 12-09-2006 03:57 PM

:D It looks like that boat has Garhauer blocks on it btw...at least for the mainsheet. What kind of boat is it??

BTW, that looks like a bimini frame, not a dodger frame...it is leaning forward, not back...so it is in the wrong position to be a dodger frame IMHO. It is aft of the mainsheet traveler track, at least from what I can see... so even if it was a dodger frame, the line coming down to the traveler wouldn't be a problem, as it already does that.

Giulietta 12-09-2006 04:04 PM

SD what about if he just looses the top boom block (mast side) and the main comes from the one on the mid boom to the block at the mast foot, and attaches it to the vangs anchoring thing, Paralel to the vang?

T34C 12-09-2006 04:07 PM

If the dodger (if that's what it is) starts just behind the traveler, SD's idea won't work. Also wouldn't allow use of a mainsheet winch. Depends on size of boat and main.