Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-08-2006

sjacovino is on a distinguished road
Looking for advice on Genoa Tracks & Cars

I am having the deck of my boat refinished and decided to ditch the ancient genoa tracks and cars. The boat is 40ft Ctr Cockpit and uses up to a 150% Genoa, and I'm looking for advice on the type of system to use. It currently is set up with 2 cars in tandem on each track but I've never quite understood or took advantage of more than one. We do mostly laid back weekend/week cruising, not racing, so I'm looking for something workable that won't cost a fortune. I'm already spending way too much on the deck work, but it would be crazy not to replace some old hardware at this time. I was thinking of Harken..., What are the pros/cons of pinstop over slider, one or 2 cars, etc; Any advice, ? Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve I am looking at the same thing but for different reasons. I race a 30 footer and need adjustable cars. Currently I have T track and one car. I am trying to decide if I should replace my track and go with the Harken CB track and adjustable cars system.

In your case just cruising I think as long as you select a track and car that suits the size of vessel and sails then you should be good. Two cars each side make changing between two sails on the go eaiser but is not necessary for cruising.

Eagerly waiting for spring.
Gary
Old 12-08-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
To both.

I have had experience with Harken, and for obvoius reasons ONLY use Lewmar for tracks and cars now.

I race so I got R1 series with special bearings
Old 12-08-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you are primarily cruising, a single car per side should be adequate as long as they are easily adjustable. Spring loaded pins are more convenient that threaded ones. I doubt you can justify the cost of under-load adjustable cars, and in any event they would be overkill.

I don't think you need to go the bearing car route either.

The only reason to carry 2 cars per side is if you tend to get overrides when using the forward-most position on the track because the sheet lead angle is too flat. (unlikely on a C.C boat) You can improve the angle by leading through the second block near the end of the track as well.
Old 12-08-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Guilietta, does that mean you had some problems with the Harken genoa blocks? I am trying to decide which ones to go with. Harken are the most expensive but generally I have had good luck with their other gear.

Gary
Old 12-08-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Gary,

When we were deciding what blocks, tracks, and hardware I needed for my boat, I decided to do use the best material of both manufacturers, that is I chose what best suited my needs.

Previously, on a previous boat I had problems with Harken clutches (chewed the ropes), with the winches, that were not up to what we had expected (note that size was correct and Lewmar did the job), and had some expensive damage inside, and with their racing tracks and cars.

So I went Lewmar with the tracks and cars, winches, and clutches.

For the critical pulleys, mast footblocks, etc. I used Harken Carbo or black magic, because I needed to reduce friction and they're the best.

For less critical and wear and tear material I chose Lewmar.

In your case, you are not going to race, so I would go with Lewmar, only because it's cheaper.

At the end of the day, for what you need, its best.

Also, Harken in europe, hmmmm very rude people, too.

I ended up with my boat half grey colored stuff (Lewmar) and half black stuff (harken).

By the way, Harken mast footblocks are THE BEST !!! mine are carbon blocks, realy help the hoisting etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (61.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (51.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (47.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Giulietta; 12-08-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Viadana blocks? Price is definitely right, and that's what I'm leary of. Anyone have experience with this gear?

"A Small Sailing Craft is not only Beautiful, it is Seductive and Full of Strange Promise and the Hint of Trouble"
E.B. White; "The Sea and the Wind that Blows"
Old 12-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would go with a Garhauer setup. It will do the job and cost a good deal less than Lewmar or Harken. Also, Garhauer is stock equipment on a lot of new boats, including Catalinas...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-09-2006

SD,

Absolutely right! They don't sell in Europe, that's why I didn't even remember.

Good option.