SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Engine Room Linings

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am searching to buy a good material to line my engine room with, I''ve recently read in an arcticle that a white, fire retardant, vinyl-faced foam is great, but I have no idea where to buy it or costs. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I purchased a very expensive , supposedly best pad of stiff fiberglass insulation with a sound deadening sheet of lead inside the pad and faced with foil. Very disappointed. The sound deadening is great, but the foil tears exposing fiberglass fibers which slough off. Mylar tape is supplied with the insulation to seal the exposed fiberglass edges, but it seems impossible to prevent tears.

#3 ·
I purchased engine room soundproofing material from Boat U.S. it is a fire retardant material (important), and is a sandwich of foam...high and low density with an aluminized outer cover. it is 2'' X 4'' X 1/2" for $40 a panel.

I installed it with contact cement on vertical surfaces and screws with fender washers on overhead surfaces. It has been in service for several years with no problems.

Does a good job of quieting my ol'' Perkins and was well worth the effort of installing it.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.