Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-11-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
One other thing I should have mentioned is where you carry your knife. I have a pocket in the bib of my foulies and find that it is the most convenient location, except when I'm not wearing them.(G) Settling for the pocket is a pain-I find that my chest is the area I can always get to when I need a blade in a hurry. Even with a lanyard the pocket is not as efficient. I wish more oufitters would put a pocket, with velcro, in the chest area. Thoughts?
I think I'll be making my next knife. Spring steel, straight blade as hello likes, and leather sheath to carry spike also. I think the serrated blades came out because the knife manufacturers saw everybody sharpening their knives on a piece of concrete. And to be honest, for cutting line it gives you a better edge than you can get by honing a stainless blade. That myerchin was pretty reasonable compared to their other blades I've seen.
Have a wave. the only thing I don't like is the blade-go figure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sailaway-
When I started scuba (before sailing) I started with my sheath knife down by my ankle because that's where we were taught to put it. And then I lost one because my foot fouled in something and when I pulled it free, the knife stayed behind without me noticing it.
I since shifted the scuba knife to military style, on a chest strap with the point up and the handle down, so either hand can release it and pull it free. (There's a patent catch on it to lock it in, still one-handed.) But for sailing, there are too many lines and things to foul on your chest. If I put it on the PFD harness under the PFD, I couldn't reach it with both hands.
So...I just settle for a smaller knife, which is plenty good enough for sailing, on a belt sheath. It doesn't get in the way much, haven't yet found anything else that would work better unless it was somehow "built in" to the clothing. And while I was willing to modify my bib pants (added a chest pocket wide enough to hold a folded chart or a beverage) I'm not willing to modify "everything" as opposed to having a knife on a belt, that can go around anything I'm wearing.
I drilled a hole in the top of the handle and added a loop of bungee cord. In the sheath, the cord is snapped down "under" the sheath, so it can't fall out but can be pulled free easily. Out of the sheath, the loop makes a good wrist lanyard, so I can't lose it overboard. Or, down to the deck from aloft.
Some of these locking folding knives with a little assist knob that you can flip open with one hand certainly look nice, I just stopped and said "You know, I've already got more knives than I use" and put a spare to good use.
Offhand I agree about stainless being the wrong steel, but there are many kinds of stainless. I'm willing to trade that off with the ability of stainless to stay clean and hold a "good enough" sharp edge in the sheath. My kitchen knives are carbon steel, but that's also because there's a stick in the block.
Old 12-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I usually have two on me... one in a pocket of my foul weather gear or on my harness, and the other in my back pocket. Both are Boye Rigging knives, and made of cobalt carbide. They're folding lockback knives, that can be opened with one hand very easily.

They're pretty solid for folding knives, and one is serrated with no point, and the other is a non-serrated with a point. They hold an edge pretty well, but are a PITA to sharpen... and cut line really well.

I also usually carry a Leatherman ChargeTi pocket tool with me. Very nice, with titanium handles, so it's a bit lighter than the stainless steel version. Knife blades on it are just okay... don't hold an edge as well as the Boyes, but easier to sharpen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-12-2006

ulpilotrmh is on a distinguished road
Knives

I have three. I carry a Victorox Swiss Army knife in my pocket at all times. When I sail I carry a Sog multi tool in a belt sheath. It has two blades, one serrated, and one smooth. It also has folding pliers, as well as various screw drivers, an awl, bottle opener etc. I've had this knife for perhaps 15 years. The blades hold an edge for a long time and it has never rusted. I also have a new captain's knife with stainless steel blade, shackle wrench and marlin spike. This knife is on the boat when I sail, but I do not carry it on my person.
Old 12-12-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Nobody is answering question 7
Old 12-12-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"7. Where did you buy it and what did you pay? Would you buy it again?"
Didn't I answer that? Spare from the kitchen, net cost zero, "acquired" without any out of pocket expense. And I'd do it that way again.
Never spend more for a knife than you are willing to spend on lunch, because one day, that knife may go away just as easily.

My dive knife (a comparable "purpose built" specialty knife) was probably around $30-40, that's as far as I'd go. I know, the ceramics are well beyond that and perhaps worth it for a heavier user. But then again, workmen's machete's and ordinary knives come out of China at a cost of ten cents (CENTS) and land in the US at a wholesale cost of a buck.

Last edited by hellosailor; 12-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2006

ulpilotrmh is on a distinguished road
No. 7

I've had the Swiss Army knife for a long time and can't remember how much I paid for it. Maybe $20.00 to $25.00. The SOG multi tool probably cost $75.00 to $80.00 15 years ago. I won the Captain's knife at auction on eBay and paid about $70.00. I would always carry the Swiss Army knife and would replace it if lost. I would also replace the SOG if it was lost. The Captain's knife is beautiful, but I wouldn't waste money on a replacement. The SOG is all the knife I need on a boat.
Old 12-13-2006

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Leatherman or Gerber, both are good but they are tools not just knives. My hands down all time fav for a boat knife is a Victornox (Swiss army folks) 4 inch searated parring knife. Razor sharp, hold a decent edge, cost five bucks so they are disposable and they have a varaity of carry options including a hard plastic sheath that works great around your neck and a slip on nylon belt sheath as well as tucking them into nooks and crannies about the boat. I issued one brand new to all new deckhands on my Comm fish boat with strict instructions that it was never to be used except to cut someone out of the gear. Had to stay on them all the time as the knife was so handy. I want a brand new blade if someone get tangled and goes over the side.
I have bought 100 or more over the years. Found at any comm fish store.
Old 12-15-2006

Kakkerlak is on a distinguished road
I have a Kershaw 3.5 inch stainless combination serrated blade folder that I carry always, even on land. It has a Ken Onion-designed one-hand opening spring and peg, and a decent antislip plastic handle. About $70 at GI Joe's in Portland, OR. It's hard to keep sharp, as I end up using it to cut paper and line and food and soon-to-be-food. I keep it clipped inside the left pocket of my Mustang commercial PFD. I find that the clip tends to catch on my hand when I keep in in my jeans pocket, which is an annoying drawback that would make me reconsider my next purchase.

I have an old classic Leatherman tool that is on my belt even at weddings and funerals.
Old 12-16-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Please more info on the Boye.