SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Knives (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/26676-knives.html)

sailaway21 12-10-2006 11:55 PM

Knives

What are you carrying for a knife?
Please describe the knife, answering the following:
1. Do you like it?
2. What is the construction of the knife. Is it folding or straight blade? What is the length of the blade? Is it pointed or blunt tipped? What material is the blade made of? What material is the handle made of?
3. How do you carry it?
4. Does it hold an edge or do you have to dress it after cutting line?
5. Is it difficult to sharpen and how do you put an edge on it?
6. Does it come with a spike and how would you rate the spike?
7. Where did you buy it and what did you pay? Would you buy it again?
8. If you had your choice, what features would you have on a knife that you feel are essential and what would you consider optional?
9. If the knife is a folding knife, are you happy with the hinge and strength of the overall assembly?
10. If the knife is straight, are you happy with the sheath and is it comfortable to wear?

Please limit comments to knives employed on board. Ghinzu meat knives, pig-stickers, switch-blades, and Polish cavalry sabers are beyond the area of interest. Although, stories of repelling boarders in the Straits of Malacca with only a Barlow knife to hand will be tolerated, if not unmercifully graded for believability and the amount of blood shed.;)

RayMetz100 12-11-2006 12:14 AM

I put this on my christmas list as my first sailing knife, the Leatherman juice xe6. I've only been sailing for 2 months, so I don't know if that's a good one or not. The cork screw with assist feature looks cute. The serrated blade and pliers are the more practical side for sailing utility.

Their Core and Surge models have all locking blades instead of the corkscrew.

capn_dave 12-11-2006 06:29 AM

Well There are three knives I have abord

but I carry only one with me all the time. The Leatherman Wave. It's made out of some type of stainless that rusts easily however if kept well oiled it's no problem. It sharpens right up also, it suprises ms how easy it is to sharpen for a stainless knife. 2 cutting blades, Yes kiddes two. A straighs edge and a serrated edge. Man there are so many tools on this sucker it's hard to count. One other feature I like is the pliers. It's the only multi-tool I have found that you don't get your hand pinched if the plierrs slip.
Its the best dammed thing since grits. I feel neeked without it.
Being on boats about 24/7, You allways need a tool for something and the WAVE usually will do the job. Just beause I'm to lazy to go get the right tool for the job.

Fair Winds
Cap'n Dave

Goodnewsboy 12-11-2006 06:48 AM

I carry a simple Buck folder that has about a 2 1/2 inch stainless blade. The edge is partly serrated, which makes it quite effective for cutting synthetic rope.

Its chief virtue is that I can open it with one hand by means of the small "flicker" knob at the base of the blade. That feature is very handy when the other hand is occupied.

TrueBlue 12-11-2006 06:58 AM

I also carry a Leatherman Wave - wherever I'm either on the boat - or going ashore by dink, can't remember the number of times having a folding tool kit on my belt has been invaluable. My last Leatherman however, was a fingernail breaker - blades and tools eventually became very difficult to retract, even with constant oiling. The Wave has clever quick-release tool levers and one-handed knife blade tabs, a great all-in-one tool for sailors.

Bluewater4us 12-11-2006 07:28 AM

I am the same as Captn Dave and TrueBlue, I have the leatherman wave as well. I have had it for 3 years and it is the most used tool I have. I also have another and it is more of a Captn's knife. Has a 3" blade with a blunt tip, a marlinspike and a shackle key. The last one I have is a gerber. It is a 6 inch blade and it is a pointed end. The front half is a straight blade and the back half is serrated.

Jotun 12-11-2006 08:13 AM

I carry a small Swiss army knife. However, I think the one I have is not the original but a Wenger copy. I carry it all the time, even when I am wearing a suit. So the small size is the best feature. It has a blade, a file/screwdriver, scissors, a toothpick, and tweezers.

bubb2 12-11-2006 08:42 AM

I carry 3 knifes when i am out crusing. leatherman surge, an stainless steel folding gerber i keep in my pocket and a fixed blade myerchin i keep laced to my inflatable vest. I highly recommend the leatherman and myerchin I am not happy with the way gerber has held up. it was sold to me as having life time warrany when in fact it had an one year warrany. the lock on the knife does not hold the blade open and the blade can fold back when pressure is applyied. on the other hand the myerchin is a smiple but beautiful tool. It is so well made it is an peice of art and in the off seaseon i keep on the coffee table. http://www.myerchin.com/A500.html

T34C 12-11-2006 11:31 AM

On-board I carry the Gerber Para-frame II. Folding high carbon Stainless blade w/stainless handle. Clip point blade (serrated). Clip on handle allow it to be clipped onto edge of pocket so it is easy to get at when needed. Very sharp and holds an edge well. Not very expensive (around $25) so if I should loose / break it (drop over board) I won't feel guilty havig to buy a new one.

When not on board I carry the Para-frame mini. ($10) This is my third or forth as I alway forget not to take it with me to the airport.
gerbergear.com

hellosailor 12-11-2006 02:07 PM

I have a Leatherman. Too big & heavy & slow to open to be a "sailing knife" but it gets packed in the bag for trips as a handy tool--not knife.

Have a tiny Swiss Army, that's always in my pocket including on the boat but also goes in the bag with the wallet & keys, doesn't stay in the pocket while sailing because it can get lost too easily.

The "sailing" knife is a dedicated sharp paring knife, not pointed but with the point rounded down to the cutting edge to make accidental stabbings a bit harder. A good top-name stainless kitchen knife actually, that's about 6?7"? long in a sheath. I keep a fine edge on it and make a point of *not* using it if I can get to anything else, so the edge stays sharp. For me it serves the purpose of being available "Now!" with either hand. If someone is caught in a line and something is about to be damaged, I know that with one hand and one stroke I can cut that line.

Straight edge, because I find a straight edge, kept sharp, is easy to keep sharp and cuts by simply pressing it against a loaded line--no sawing motion needed as with a serrated edge. Cheap, simple, no fuss.