Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-11-2006

drinkthesand is on a distinguished road
Unique Sail Cleaning Problem

I have a unique/gruesome quesiton regarding sail cleaning...I just bought a 1970 20' Hurley through a lein sale for $75. There was an incident onboard involving the previous owners girlfriend attempting suicide which resulted in a large amount of blood on the sails. What would be the best way to remove most of the stain without causing damage to the sails?

Last edited by drinkthesand; 12-11-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006

ulpilotrmh is on a distinguished road
sail Cleaning

Have you thought of Sailcare. Contact them at sailcare.com.
Old 12-11-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Talking Drinkthesand

Drinkthesand (that has to hurt when time comes to go take a s****)

Call the cleanup guy from Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction"

Oxyclean. The sails are old anyway...
Old 12-11-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Apply liberal amounts of diesel fuel, let soak 1-2 minutes.

Apply a match.

In a more serious tone, if sails are old, the Oxyclean may work. But for the money you saved, just buy new ones.
If sails are newer, Sailcare does a great job. I have used them several times. You might call them and ask what they can do. They were able to get a couple of small blood stains off an old mainsail I sent to them a few years ago.

Last edited by T34C; 12-11-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
You Too????

T34c

You Too Have Blood in your sails??????????????

How hard are you guys gibiing???????
Old 12-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Giu...that's why they call it a BOOM!
Old 12-11-2006

SAILBOAT FOR SALE:

2005, 32' Hunter Sailboat, very nice, low engine hours $ 200.00.

Only used twice. Some items missing.

missing:

1)Front cabin matress (when I killed my first wife).
2)Sallon couch seats, (when I killed her lover)
3)Port Cabin ceiling and side panels, (dog chewed them while I locked him there while finishing up the wife)
4)Satrbord Shades and some of the matress deeply stained with blood, (the mother in law gave a good fight, too)
5)Kitchen hardware, (a little scatered all over lovers body -some knives might be recovered)
6)Tiller (forensic said they needed it to stop wife's brain from coming out)
7)Sails are gone (ditched dead dog, in a proper navy funeral) Spinaker is good, as tissue did not soak the blood.
8) Father in law was stuck on Spi pole, so that's gone too.

All in all, the red looks good inside, and there are also some fingernail marks on port teack deck, as step daughter refused to sink..

Might keep the boat, if OJ Simpson calls. IF HE DOES IT!!!
Old 12-11-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Suppose you mail the sail to Sailcare for cleaning. There are a couple of things to think about.

First, there are probably laws that regulate the manner of handling biohazardous materials. Your doctor has to dispose of old needles and bloody bandages in a rigidly prescribed manner. Mailing the sail to Sailcare would probably violate one of those laws and subject you to prosecution.

Secondly, what do you suppose Sailcare is going to think when your blood-soaked sail arrives in the mail? Not knowing the history of the sail, they'll probably think it is evidence of a serious crime, and report it to the police.

Thirdly, what do you think the police are going to do? They're going to kick down your door, arrest you, handcuff you behind your back, and "frog-march" you past the tv cameras, who, along with your boss and co-workers, will all be convinced you're a murderer. If you have your cellphone in your hand when they rush into your living room, they'll probably shoot you. When they get you down to police headquarters, they'll ask for your explanation, and hold you for a day or so until they have time to check it out. They'll probably eventually realize that it was all just a comedy of errors, but, if they shoot you, you'll probably still be dead.

If the facts are as you say, and if you have the stomach for it, your best bet is to either wash it yourself, as some of the others have suggested, or dispose of it properly and buy a new sail. If you do it yourself, by all means wear a protective mask, gloves and clothing.
Old 12-11-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I vote for Oxyclean. I've used it on sails before without a problem, and it does a great job with some very tough stains. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly.

As for the bio-hazard thing and shipping it -- a phone call to Sailcare should you go that route will take care of that issue, especially if you try some cleaning methods yourself first. I really doubt the local CSI group will show up at your doorstep.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-11-2006

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one wants to by the 32' hunter??? Please.

What about if I remove the scalp that is stuck to the sink???

$150.00 OBO

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.