Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-11-2006

ntheyer is on a distinguished road
Mounting blocks for mast mounted winches!

I have a 1980 Hughes 35. Someone stole the two halyard winches off that mast and took the blocks that go between the base of the winch and the mast.

Where the heck do I find replacements? I don't even know where to start. The mast is curved at the mounting locations and consequently need a custom fitted piece to allow the flat winch base to mount securely?

Any ideas?

The mast is in St. Joseph, MI.

I would like something made with Delrin or similar material, or I suppose wood. I figure the plastic will last longer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
I'd wax the mast really well and lay up a fiberglass pad that will fit its curvature. Once you have an oversized pad that fits the curve of the mast section, you can trim and shape it with a bandsaw, drill, and belt sander until you get what you want. You should even be able to make use of the existing mounting hardware.

When done, finish it with a two part polyurethane. It may look better than the old ones.
Old 12-11-2006

That's an interesting idea... I think I may do that... Will fiberglass not crack and break from the stresses on the winch?

Hmmm, you've definitely got me thinking...
Old 12-11-2006

Also, there are the five screw holes in the mast already for the screws to mount directly into the mast... The mounting bracket seems to negate the five good holes in the mast already.. I really hesitate to drill more holes for rivets etc...

Good idea though.

I hate theft... The winches were 25 year old Lewmar one speeds... Maybe worth $100 together... Replacement will be a major hassle, not really expensive necessarily, just a major time consuming hassle.
Old 12-11-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Goodnews's fiberglass pad can be drilled to make use of the existing holes in the mast, and simply be sandwiched between the winch base and the mast with appropriate caulking

Last edited by Faster; 12-12-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Buy some Delrin blocks, make a template of the mast-possibly even a layer of fibreglas, and cut the Delrin with a bandsaw.
Old 12-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The fiberglass blocks are a good idea...and they can act as a galvanic isolation washer...a big one...for the mast and the winch base. Wouldn't recommend the Delrin... it's probably more expensive, and rather difficult to get stuff to bond too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-12-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
The suggestion of fiberglass was made because you can pack it with a lot of cloth and mat and thus give it the strength and density needed for the job. I also think that laying it up on the curved surface where it will go is the easiest way to match the contour.

Be SURE that you have plenty of wax on the mast surface before applying resin! A couple of layers of waxed paper taped over the area would be good if you can find some.

You may be able to use the new bases to adapt new winches to the existing holes in the mast by bolting the new base into them with countersunk screws, and then, in turn, separately fastening the winch to the new base.

Last edited by Goodnewsboy; 12-12-2006 at 02:30 PM.