Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
454 !!!! Yikes, there's people with bigger outboards on 26 footers than my little 13 horse 2cylinder Yanmar. 3 blade does seem the way to go though. Now it's just a question of (I like what I read about the Campbell's) go new, or refurbish. Probably, just refurbish though. Just makes sense cost wise. Appreciate all the input though, it's been helpful, as my experience with props is limited to outboards.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Seen the westbynorth site and the campbell sailer props, though wasn't much in the way of prices to go by. Current prop is a 12" 3 blade fixed, and ........ So any info in the ballpark on prices would be a big help.
PB - we bought a 17x 11 3 blade Campbell prop in 2000, cost was approx $700 CDN.
Old 12-12-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
alrighty...
I'm one cheap SOB, and one one of the tubs, a 30 year old catalina 27 with an A-4....
it had a 2 blade folding prop. 12x7
during one of our fantastic voyages, it ended up in the bottom of the lake.

remember I'm one cheap SOB.
after wandering around ebay for a week or 2, I found a 12x8 fixed 3 blade off of a 1959 Chris-craft inboard, paid 35.00 for it.
I beached the whale, heaved her over using the jib halyard to a concrete pier that was out of the water, changed the prop in an hour and a half, floated the boat.

I now get the same top speed under the iron jenny, 5.5kts, but I do have about 100-150 less RPM. I'm not worried about it.
Drag? I don't care about no drag ferchris-sakes its a 30 year old catalina!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 12-13-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
PB,

I will give you one big positive of going new: You will have a spare. If you bought a new one and threw the old one down below (even if not in perfect condition), you would have a spare incase you chewed your new one up on a reef. I cannot guess how much it would cost to get a new prop in the Bahamas, or even worse, down islands??

Tom Neale is a big advocate of carrying a back-up. As for me, er, hmm, well, I never run aground, will never run aground, have never run agroung. I have a wing keel and wings are completely safe from hitting the bottom, right??!!
Old 12-13-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Of course they are CD.....just ask SailorMitch. I think he's going to use a wing keel for his tombstone, as a matter of fact!

I'd already thought about having the present one for a spare, but I've put so much in the boat already, I'm getting close to the point of having to w*&% to build up the kitty a bit. That's down right scary. May just go with what I have till I have a little extra bread, then buy a new one and swap 'em out next haulout.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-13-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
PB...
I think he's going to use a wing keel for his tombstone

What a cool idea...then the kids won't be able to tip over his gravestone!
Old 12-13-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Better yet, the next time a Sea Ray blows you off the road, might I suggest finding where he slips his boat, a little scuba gear, and a late night swim with a wrench. It might not be the perfect size, but with a little shimming it will work. Plus you will save more money for the cruising kitty and make the waterways a safer place to boat.

I know this might sound extreme to some, but please understand one thing: Sea Rays have two screws and most of their captains would never know it anyway. Plus the entertainment of anchoring on your boat and listening to them scream, "WHY DOES THIS BOAT ONLY GO IN CIRCLES!!??? KNEW I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A SAILBOAT!!"

Ahhh (wiping tear from eye), I just love Sea Rays. (SMILE!!)

- CD
Old 12-13-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

CAM - You are sooo funny. Better than a fin where he really will be stuck in the dirt. No wait, aren't all tombstones basically the design of a fin??
Old 12-19-2006

niftynickers is on a distinguished road
3 blade vs 2 blade

This past June I replaced the 2 blade prop on our Pacific Seacraft 37 with a 3 blade Campbell sailor prop.Because my prop is in an aperture behind the skeg the 2 blade had a "null" which caused it to loose bite at higher rpm.This caused a wicked vibration in the tiller at full throttle.The 3 blade eliminates the null and thus the vibration.I felt that the Campbell prop was overpriced but I liked the concept so I bit the bullet.One word of caution from an experience engine guy was to double check the pitch as he's seen several Campbells incorrectly pitched.
The 3 blade does bite better which is very noticeable powering into a headsea.
Niftynickers
Old 01-01-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftynickers
This past June I replaced the 2 blade prop on our Pacific Seacraft 37 with a 3 blade Campbell sailor prop.Because my prop is in an aperture behind the skeg the 2 blade had a "null" which caused it to loose bite at higher rpm.This caused a wicked vibration in the tiller at full throttle.The 3 blade eliminates the null and thus the vibration.I felt that the Campbell prop was overpriced but I liked the concept so I bit the bullet.One word of caution from an experience engine guy was to double check the pitch as he's seen several Campbells incorrectly pitched.
The 3 blade does bite better which is very noticeable powering into a headsea.
Niftynickers
Niftynickers, I'm thinking of getting Campbell Sailor -blade for my Hunter 326 (2GM20F) for the same reason you mention, better trust and smoother running. You mentioned seeing several incorrectly piched Campbell prop. Would that be wrong calculation made by WestbyNorth or manufacturing error ?
WbyN quoted me 14"x9" pitch 3-blade to replace my stock 15"x10" 2-blade.