Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-15-2006

georgellop is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie, ... Bandolera was built by Coleman Plastics in Sausalito California in 1958 to plans originally drawn by Phillip Rhodes for wood construction and later modified for fiberglass. The model was called the Bounty II. I will upload some other pics and let you know.

Thanks.

BETAMARINE
DIESEL PROPULSION & GENERATORS
Mobile: (786) 443 5567
Fax: (786) 221 3986

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2006

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
One consideration to make is that the older the engine, the more value placed on the replacement option.
Old 12-15-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I rebuilt my Perkins 4.108 5 years ago for about 3,000. That was with me doing the rebuilding in my garage, Diesel Parts Sales doing the block work (press in new liners and cross hatch them) and head work (lap and install valves. That does not include the crane to get it out or in. I hooked it up myself and aligned it myself. Diesel Parts had a rebuilt engine (also 4.108)and tranny for sale in their showroom for 5800 dollars and that was a bargain. I chose to do the work myself to learn something abot the engine and saving 40% did not hurt either. I suspect the cost for your bigger engine would be a bit more but not much. Consider the fact that Perkins engines are so well thought of that if you repower you can get a couple thousand for one that runs to defer the cost. Check to see if that engine is sleeved like the 4.108 because if it is then new sleeves is like a new engine (at least from the combustion chamber/piston aspect). I hope I have shed some light on the other option.
pigslo
Old 12-15-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hauk...assuming you have the 4.236...you might give these guys a call. Excellent AND they sell both new and rebuilt Perkins along with all the peripherals AND care about customer service.
http://www.tadiesels.com/perkins-4236.html

As Pigs suggests above...the rebuilt 4.236 DOES get new cylinder liners so unless there are other engine issues...a rebuild may just last you a good long time! I wouldn't mess doing it myself...but pigs like to roll around in the muck a bit!
Old 12-18-2006

haukebo is on a distinguished road
Time to overhaul?

Thanks for all the replies. Given my direct question, I did not mind an engine dealer quoting direct prices!

Next question...How long does it typically take a competent mechanic/shop to pull an engine, overhaul it, and have things up and running again? Is this a couple week project or a couple month project or what?
Old 12-18-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A week or two is all the time they *need*, the rest just depends on how busy they are, whether the best man for the job is on vacation, whether parts ship quickly....No reason it should take a month unless something extraordinary happened. (And physical accidents do happen in machine shops.)