SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Overhaul Cost (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/26804-overhaul-cost.html)

haukebo 12-15-2006 01:41 PM

Overhaul Cost

Looks like I may need to have my 85 Hp Perkins overhauled. Anyone know what that will likely cost? How does an overhaul compare to buying a new engine?

camaraderie 12-15-2006 02:11 PM

Figure 5-7K with a new one installed at $15-20.

georgellop 12-15-2006 03:05 PM

.... right on the money camaraderie.

I'll refrain from estimating the cost of overhaul for obvious reasons. But, I can provide you with the pricing for the following:

75 HP BETAMARINE BV 3300 KUBOTA/PRM260 (comparable to the Perkins 4236 due to improved efficiency) List US$ 18,115.00 price valid until 12/31/06. Price increase thereafter.

90 HP BETAMARINE BV 3800 KUBOTA/PRM260 List US$ 19,200.00 price valid until 12/31/06. Price increase thereafter.

You will find other manufacturers engines that have a lower sales price that the BETAMARINE i.e. YAMMAR. at the same time their replacement parts and consumables are painfully more expensive.

.... decisions, decisions, decisions.

sailingdog 12-15-2006 03:31 PM

George-

While I applaud the information, the fact that you obviously have some relationship with BetaMarine, makes what you're posting a bit suspect, and may actually be considered SPAM by the TOS on sailnet.

hellosailor 12-15-2006 03:57 PM

Lighten up, sd. The original post asked for two things:
Overhaul cost, and comparison to
New engine cost.

All the man said--up front--were the new retail prices of the engines he deals with. That's just one of the two things asked in the original post. That he is able to sell them, hardly makes it spam. (Spam is UNsolicited, at that.)

camaraderie 12-15-2006 04:16 PM

Dawg...Geo...Hello et. al.....

I agree that the nature of the reply was commercial but it was in response to a direct question AND he clearly identified his commercial connection in his signature so as far as I am concerned...it was a legitimate post in answer to a direct question by someone who has some knowledge to contribute. I think the commercial guys have a lot to add here as long as they keep the balance between advice and self-promotion tipped toward the advice side!
I also think that when we look for stuff on line...we remember who sponsors this board and give them a shot at competing for our business whenever possible!

catamount 12-15-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
.... may actually be considered SPAM by the TOS on sailnet.

Can anyone provide a link to these Terms of Service?

Thanks,

Tim

georgellop 12-15-2006 04:33 PM

Sailingdog .... Please note that; I have stated (in my signature) my afiliation for the sake of transparency. Anyone reading one of my post in regards to propulsion or power generation knows who is the source and can treat the information accordingly.

All the best ... George.

P.S. no unsolicited information, ever.

camaraderie 12-15-2006 04:58 PM

BTW George....Your boat looks really interesting. Have you got any better pictures you can put on line?

tommyt 12-15-2006 06:41 PM

Thank you George for your answer to a question asked and your signature stating your credentials. Obviously, there are those on the board that prefer wild ass guesses to facts. Then, you cannot be proven wrong. It is much easier to be an expert when you don't have to stand behind your facts.

Tom