SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need Advise on Catalina 22 Keel Winch

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dixiedawg 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1983 Catalina 22 with a swing keel......and in trying to lower the keel, the winch handle just backs of the threads and would become completely disconnected if not for a small spring and nut.

This is a new one on me. I had another swing keel boat that worked fine but was attached differently so backing off was never an issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Is the boat in the water? On stands?

There is quite a bit written about the winch. Its an ingenious little thing. The handle will unscrew right off. When you turn the handle counter clockwise, it releases a brake which - if you stopped turning the brake would automatically retighten and take the weight for you. It is amazing actually.

Your brake may be stuck. You should be able to take the weight off the keel - either jack it up or pull it up with ropes... and once the cable is slack - take the winch off and inspect it. If the brake is stuck on, you should be able to figure it out, lubricate and free it.

However - if its your cable that is snagged and stuck - then you will get the same symptoms but obviously you have to order a new cable and be sure to order the full kit which comes with a new bronze turning ball.

#6 ·
I understand the safety aspect of a brake winch, but having trailer sailed for a few years now on two different boats, I much prefer a regular winch for the keel. I like to feel the weight of the keel, and know that it is dropping out of the pocket, and know when it has bottomed out. With a brake winch, I find it can be difficult to know exactly what the keel is doing.

#7 ·
I would consider that to be a completely unnecessary safety hazard. It might be fine for very light centerboards or something, but on a C22 with a 550 lb swing keel, if a free-running winch were to get away from someone it could do some serious damage, both to the user and the boat. There are plenty of tell-tale signs on a C22 to indicate what the keel is doing.

I highly recommend using the correct winch.

#8 ·
Ive done a few centerboards and if its in a trunk that needs to be cleaned then you need to do that out of the water. As said before that much weight dropping uncontrollably is a bad thing. If the winch doesn't free it up you may need to haul. Is the Boat new to you, was it in the water when you bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.