Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2006

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
How do you power your TVs?

I am going to add a small TV (20"-26")to the boat next spring. I am looking at options. It would be nice to use the TV without starting the Genset when off the dock. Looking at ads for inverters, it appears that the manufacturers will only guarantee that a pure sine wave inverter will run a TV or computer without problems. I am reluctant to spend that much for this one use. I have DC charging options for everything else.

I added a desiel Genset a couple of years ago primarily for charging, but also to allow use of the heat pump when necessary. We like to anchor out and it extends our season. Good for cooling down the cabin on hot nights too. We don't run it all night and would like the option of using the TV when it is not going.

How are list members handling this problem? Anyone have alternative solutions that have been effective? Small inverters, DC powered TVs?

I welcome all ideas.

Herb DuBois
Beneteau 36CC
Split Decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Herb...we've been using a quality modified sine wave inverter for several years with our LCD (Heart-Freedom) with non problem at all. The really cheap auto store inverters while having the wattage you need are essentially square wave inverters and can cause problems. The decent modified sine wave inverters are more expensive but a lot less expensive than the pure sine wave ones and draw less power at "idle" as well.
Something like this should work fine:
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info...roducts_id/912
Old 12-18-2006

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
Hey Herb - I run a 15" LCD and DVD player off a cheap 300watt inverter. It is $25 at auto store and it has been fine for a couple of years now. It is made by xantrex - the same company that makes models that cost 10 X as much. Gotta wonder how much markup is due to a description that includes "Marine Grade"... At $25, you could replace it every few years and still spend much less than you would for one of the high end models - Just don't let it get wet!
Old 12-18-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Hanging our television off the transom by the cord and letting it spin in the wake provides all the power our TV needs, even in light/no air situations. More people should try this simple way of helping American achieve energy independence.
Old 12-18-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Paulk,

Great! That's probably what we all ought to try :-))

Herb DB:

Many HDTV sets these days actually run off of low-voltage DC, often 12-20 volts or so. I shopped for one which would run just fine from 12VDC, and found a small Magnavox model which has been just great.

You can expect that a 20" model will draw about 60-70 watts (5-6 amps @ 12V), while a 26" model may draw twice that.

If the model you want needs, say 18VDC, you can get a small power supply designed for computers which will provide the needed voltage. Lind Electronics makes such devices, they're of high quality, and can provide the needed voltage even if your batteries are low...as they're bound to be if you watch much TV :-)

Look for TV's which have a "car adapter" port, or separate DC input, or come with some sort of power brick.

Bill
Old 12-18-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
SeaStrutter,

''It is made by xantrex - the same company that makes models that cost 10 X as much. Gotta wonder how much markup is due to a description that includes "Marine Grade"..."

I think it's the same markup West Marine uses. Last week I was looking for 100' of 5/16" polyester braid to haul up some antennas in my yard. Stopped by West....they would be happy to sell me 100' @ .71 per foot! Hmmm, let's see, that would be $71.00 plus 5% tax. Seemed just a bit steep to me, and I just LOVE to drop $$$$ at West M.

So I went to Cherrydale Hardware, one of the few remaining good family hardware stores in America. They sold me 100' of 5/16" polyester braid -- in camouflage color which is great for hiding in the trees -- for $5.99.

I bought two, so I won't be tempted to drop back by West M. anytime soon :-)

Bill

PS...it wasn't Sta-Set, but I doubt my wire antennas will notice :-)
Old 12-18-2006

georgellop is on a distinguished road
.... I saw at COSTCO (miami) a set that had 12DCV and 110 ACV hook ups, flat screen and built in DVD ... I believe US$ 599 aprox. ... don't remember the brand.....

BETAMARINE
DIESEL PROPULSION & GENERATORS
Mobile: (786) 443 5567
Fax: (786) 221 3986

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-27-2009

brendita is on a distinguished road
You guys are great, all this little intricacies are dealt with elegantly and in such finesses.
Are we lucky or what?
This is still a great country in spite of our politians, Should have a few of them keel hauled just for a taste of the trutha!
Television on board. Hum! what happen to reading books and unabashed sex!
Leave the TV at home you will develop some nice new traits!
Candle light! anyone?
Old 11-27-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i have a 17 inch computer monitor mounted to the bulkhead that runs off 12 vdc, it draws 3 amps. i then use a usb tv tuner plugged into the laptop, feeding the monitor. it allows internet surfing and tv watching at the same time, just with dual screen options in windows. sound is provided by a set of computer speakers that run on 12 vdc as well. this setup also allows the wife to plug her ipod into the computer speakers for music with a low power draw vrs a car or boat stereo

total cost was 60 bucks for the tuner as i already had everything else, and i can put the charts up on the bigger screen when needed vrs the 10 inch screen on the laptop
Old 11-27-2009

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendita View Post
You guys are great, all this little intricacies are dealt with elegantly and in such finesses.
Are we lucky or what?
This is still a great country in spite of our politians, Should have a few of them keel hauled just for a taste of the trutha!
Television on board. Hum! what happen to reading books and unabashed sex!
Leave the TV at home you will develop some nice new traits!
Candle light! anyone?
Your articulate post is a response to a thread I started in 2006. No one had posted to in in almost three years.

What does "in such finesses" , "politians" and "trutha" mean? I thought spelling, grammar and reading were common skills. Shouldn't sentences start with capital letters?

Try using some of that candlelight reading a basic grammar and spelling text. You will do a better job of criticizing other peoples ancient posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.